Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Stored Hot  (Read 1348 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
Yeast Stored Hot
« on: July 26, 2016, 01:42:29 am »
A fridge I was storing Wyeast smack-packs broke while I was on vacation.  I'm guessing those packs got up to around 85F or so.  I'm also guessing that yeast is now toast.  But... in the hopes I'm wrong... I wanted to get some thoughts on whether or not I should pitch the yeast (in the trash) or pitch the yeast (in some wort).

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Yeast Stored Hot
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 04:31:04 am »
If you have some DME around, make a small starter and see what happens.
Nothing ventured...................
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 05:43:23 am »
It's probably fine.  Making yeast starters is still the best idea as some of the cells might have died.  But many of the cells probably survived.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 08:30:53 am »
I think you need to get a lot hotter than 85 to kill the yeast.

It might not be in the best health, but it should be fine if you build a starter.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 09:03:35 am »
Depends on how long it stayed that warm. Yeast stored at warm temps will use up its reserves much more quickly. If it was at those temps a few days the starter would probably be enough to build you up plenty of viable cells. If it was at those temps a few weeks, I'd save yourself the anxiety and just spend the money on some new yeast.

If you do attempt to use it, pay particular attention to the sights, smells and tastes of your starter. If there are significant issues, they will stick out as "different" from your usual starters.

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 04:27:14 pm »
I was gone three weeks.  I'm guessing most of that time it was warm.  What are some of the aromas associated with yeast that's gone bad?  I don't know if I've ever had any go bad before.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 04:51:34 pm »
Dead yeast will smell meaty, brothy, or of burnt matches.  This usually takes longer than 3 weeks, even at elevated temperatures.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.