Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No fermentation after 24 hours.  (Read 14320 times)

Offline chrisroe77

• 1st Kit
No fermentation after 24 hours.
« on: July 24, 2016, 03:43:09 pm »
I used the search function and all the related topics I found were about stuck or quick fermentation. I made a pale ale. OG 1.055. I got 3.5 gal wort down to 130 degrees quickly and put in my fermenting bucket and got it down to 65 degrees (with chilled water to reach 5 gal), rehdyrated US-05 in 65 degree water (yeast foam formed), and then placed in my fermenting chamber with a temp that has been consistently between 62 and 67 degrees. After 24 hours I have (and haven't had) any airlock activity or krausen. I can see a lot of green trub alread on the bottom of the bucket (all I had were fabric bags for hops so most of that is hop sediment I couldn't get out). Should I warm my temps a bit, repitch with another US-05, etc.?  Should I have started a little warmer?  This is my first experience with my fermenting fridge (all other batches started well but fermenting temps in the mid 70s produced the same off flavors in all my beers so I invested in some fermenting hardware).

Thanks in advance!

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
  • Still a NEWB, but learning and getting better.....
Re: No fermentation after 24 hours.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 03:58:48 pm »
Airlock activity, or lack thereof, does not mean there is or isn't fermentation happening.  Also, it is not unusual for it to take 36 hours or so for the yeast to begin active fermentation.

In my opinion, 65F is a little low to rehydrate the yeast.  90F-95F is a better temp for rehydrating, and will get the yeast active more quickly.  With rehydrating so low, it may take a bit longer for the yeast to get active.  I would wait at least another 12 hours before pitching any more yeast.
Bottled/Drinking:  Born Again Heathenweizen, Mongrel Belgian
Fermenting:  None
Future:  Undecided...too many to choose from

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.
"Beer....Because people suck."

Offline chrisroe77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 05:18:56 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I realized afterwards that I should have rehydrated higher and then added some chilled wort little by little to lower the temp closer to my fermenting temp.

In the case of repitching should I just raise the temp of the fermenter and sprinkle in the dry yeast or rehydrate again? I'm just not sure how much of an issue diluting my wort would be...granted with a cup of distilled, sterilized water and yeast.

Thanks again.

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
  • Still a NEWB, but learning and getting better.....
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 05:30:56 pm »
When I use dry yeast, I always pitch it with the wort at the fermentation temperature.  There is nothing wrong with topping of the fermenter before pitching the yeast.  It is pretty much standard practice when doing partial boil brews, or if you need to add some water if you boiled off too much.  If it does come down to adding more yeast, I would boil the water, cool to around 90F and then rehydrate the fresh yeast.  As I said, it might be just sluggish to take off.  wait a bit longer to see if it starts up.  You might also try giving your fermenter a gentle swirl to get the yeast back in suspension if it has started to drop out, but don't shake it.  Just a gentle swirl to get things mixed up again.  I just did an IPA that started off with good fermentation, and then stalled out a little.  A gentle swirl got the yeast back in suspension, and it dropped a few more gravity points to finish up.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 05:34:18 pm by Erik_Mog »
Bottled/Drinking:  Born Again Heathenweizen, Mongrel Belgian
Fermenting:  None
Future:  Undecided...too many to choose from

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.
"Beer....Because people suck."

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 05:44:07 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I realized afterwards that I should have rehydrated higher and then added some chilled wort little by little to lower the temp closer to my fermenting temp.

In the case of repitching should I just raise the temp of the fermenter and sprinkle in the dry yeast or rehydrate again? I'm just not sure how much of an issue diluting my wort would be...granted with a cup of distilled, sterilized water and yeast.

Thanks again.

Dry yeast can be a little slower to start, but never rehydrate yeast in distilled or RO water.  The yeast needs minerals to protect the cell walls from rupturing during rehydration.  Hold your wort at 66°F to 68°F.  The fermentation will start.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 06:15:29 pm »
Relax.  Rehydrate or don't. It makes little difference with dry yeast.

Buckets are notorious for bad seals that allow gas out so you don't see air lock activity.  But this is not something to worry about.  Buckets are just fine for fermenting.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 09:47:58 am »
Relax.  Rehydrate or don't. It makes little difference with dry yeast.

Buckets are notorious for bad seals that allow gas out so you don't see air lock activity.  But this is not something to worry about.  Buckets are just fine for fermenting.

ALL OF THIS^^^^...plus, 24 hours is WAY too soon to be worrying!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 09:50:31 am »
You've already received plenty of good advice. The only thing I would add is to confirm your fridge is really in the 60s. Double check with another thermometer. If the fridge is too cool it will delay fermentation.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 09:59:33 am »
When I have a slow starting fermentation I always take off the lid to get a visual.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline chrisroe77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 03:05:49 pm »
I got some great advice for my next brew, which will actually be this week (mmm...black IPA...). I checked today (~36 hours) and I definitely have fermentation going on. I really appreciate the answers and help from you all. I'm glad to be part of this community to learn and hopefully help others one day when I feel experienced enough to do so.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 11:26:35 am »
Relax - I brewed a Saison Saturday and pitched liquid yeast (no starter - guilty as charged on the yeast abuse).  No airlock activity and didn't sweat it.  Monday night with no bubbling, I pushed down on the rim of the lid all around the top of the bucket, swirled the contents gently and watched as the machine gun started.  Never even cracked the lid.  With more experience, you will get used to delays and false alarms.  Welcome to a great hobby!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline chrisroe77

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 02:21:00 pm »
Relax - I brewed a Saison Saturday and pitched liquid yeast (no starter - guilty as charged on the yeast abuse).  No airlock activity and didn't sweat it.  Monday night with no bubbling, I pushed down on the rim of the lid all around the top of the bucket, swirled the contents gently and watched as the machine gun started.  Never even cracked the lid.  With more experience, you will get used to delays and false alarms.  Welcome to a great hobby!

Thanks for the support!