Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Tripel Advice  (Read 9869 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Belgian Tripel Advice
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2016, 12:18:28 pm »
I agree and posted the exact same thing (if you took a second to read my post there buddy! ;) ) But that doesn't change the fact that adding the sugar post fermentation has always increased my AA. It is not a myth!

All I can tell ya is that I haven't found that.

Well it certainly has worked for me. Sounds like a good experiment!

You bet!  Wanna take part?  You'd make a great IGOR!  ;)

Only if I get to be on the podcast someday. ;)

That would be an honor for us!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline SonnyK

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2016, 01:25:50 pm »
Hey guys,

First of all, thanks so much for all the tips and tricks!

Brewed the Tripel this past weekend and I'm ~48 hours into Fermentation.  Made a 10% DME Starter with 2 packs of WLP530 and had bubbling in the blowoff ~3 hours after pitching.  It was pretty hot in Denver the day we brewed, so our immersion chiller got the wort down to 69F and the wort was close to 74F after auto siphoning, pitching the yeast and oxygenating.  By the time bubbling started (3 hours after pitching), I had the Ferm temp at 64F.  I let it climb to 65F ~36 hours after pitching. 

What do people typically do from here?  I work with a guy who I would consider a very high level home brewer and he recommended shutting off the temperature controls all together until you hit FG (just naturally let the temp rise, keep the chest freezer ambient temp @ ~70F.  Any suggestions?

Zamil's recipe in brewing classic styles says Ferment between 64-70F, ending at 70F.  Primary for ~1 week

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2016, 02:01:32 pm »
Letting it go 2-3 days in the mid 60s and then free rise to low 70s is a solid option. I'd let it sit on the yeast for one month total for a big beer like that. I followed that advice (HoosierBrew's) for a 1.092 RIS last winter and six months post-bottling I'm loving the result. I think it does a few things: (1) makes sure the yeast cleans up any byproducts of fermentation and (2) squeezes all the attenuation you're going to get out of the yeast. The latter is important in avoiding a cloyingly sweet beer.

Offline SonnyK

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2016, 02:19:32 pm »
Thanks for the response, I think I'm going to give it a go :)

Offline SonnyK

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2016, 01:41:51 pm »
Can someone please offer me some advice on how to adjust the recipe for next time?  My attenuation (and hence the calculated ABV) is a little too high for my liking.  I used Jamil's recipe in "Brewing Classic Styles" for "Strict Observance Tripel" and subbed out the Sugar for Belgian Candi Syrup.  So my recipe looked like this:

boil size: 6.5gal
batch size (fermenter volume): 5 gal
boil time: 90 mins

12lb belgian pilsner (castle) - 82.5%
0.23lb belgian aromatic (castle) - 1.6%
2.31lb belgian candi syrup - 5L - 15.9%

mash: 1.5qt/lb.  Mashed in @ 149F for 90min in a Rubbermaid Cooler.  Mash-Out Temp: 149F.
24-hour yeast starter with 2 packets of WLP530.
Began Fermentation @ 65F, held temp @ 65F (+/-1F) for the first 48 hours of bubbling.  Allowed temperature to climb to 75F in fermenter by itself, then held the rest of Primary Fermentation @ 75F (+/-1F).  delivered 1 min of oxygen after pitching yeast + ~16 hours after pitching.
OG: 1.086 (76% efficiency)
FG: 1.008
estimated ABV: 10.2%
AA: 93%

In an ideal world.. I would like to brew this beer with an OG of ~1.081, FG: 1.012 and 9.2% ABV.  Is there a way to decrease fermentability of sugars (maybe mash temp?) to lessen attenuation?

Thank you in advance for any ideas!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:43:57 pm by SonnyK »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2016, 01:54:54 pm »
Mash temp might help a bit, but it's a crapshoot.  Are you sure you want it to finish higher?  1.008 is pretty much perfect for a tripel.  If you want lower ABV, just start with a lower OG.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2016, 01:57:15 pm »
This ^.  Yeah, I wouldn't want a tripel @ 1.012 either. Mine finish ~ 1.008 normally - I like the drinkability.
Jon H.

Offline SonnyK

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2016, 02:07:14 pm »
Mash temp might help a bit, but it's a crapshoot.  Are you sure you want it to finish higher?  1.008 is pretty much perfect for a tripel.  If you want lower ABV, just start with a lower OG.

My only concern with starting with a lower OG is that my attentuation will stay the same and my FG will drop (even lower than a FG of 1.008).  Is this safe to assume?  Or should I just brew another batch to get to the bottom of it? :)

I'm trying to dial in this recipe for a buddy's wedding in Next July.  So I have time to brew a few more batches if need be

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2016, 02:21:47 pm »

My only concern with starting with a lower OG is that my attentuation will stay the same and my FG will drop (even lower than a FG of 1.008).  Is this safe to assume?  Or should I just brew another batch to get to the bottom of it? :)

I'm trying to dial in this recipe for a buddy's wedding in Next July.  So I have time to brew a few more batches if need be

Nope, I don't think that will be the case.  I start my tripels in the mid 70s.  For instance, starting at 1.076 and ending at 1.008 will still get you 9% ABV.  If that's too much, start even lower.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline SonnyK

• Cellarman
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2016, 02:27:34 pm »

Nope, I don't think that will be the case.  I start my tripels in the mid 70s.  For instance, starting at 1.076 and ending at 1.008 will still get you 9% ABV.  If that's too much, start even lower.

That's perfect for me.  I was trying to hit ~9%. 

If all goes to plan, I'll go from 1.077 to 1.008.

Thanks so much for the help guys!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:33:54 pm by SonnyK »