Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BIAB spent grain  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: BIAB spent grain
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 08:47:21 am »
Dry yeast selection is smaller. Dry does not mean lower quality IMO.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 12:16:32 pm »
One of the big advantages of dry yeast is that you don't need yeast starters.  But yeah, selection is limited, but getting better all the time.  If I could use dry yeast for every recipe, I would.  But some liquid yeasts are still better or required for certain styles.  Eventually probably within the next 5 years, this will no longer be the case and we'll be able to use dry for everything.  I look forward to it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 06:33:38 pm »
   Maybe you don't technically "need" a starter with dry yeast but I think you gain a bunch doing a starter, most importantly the lag time until discernible fermentation begins is greatly reduced. You are pitching what was dormant yeast but which now is fully active, and you're pitching orders of magnitude more yeast cells than you would simply sprinkling the dry yeast in the fermenter, which I would guess is interesting if you use carboys. I have only used liquid yeast a few times, and it does take off faster than dry yeast does when you are getting your starter going, but once pitched in the wort, in my limited experience an appropriate starter takes off much faster.
   FWIW, I found a 30-some year old packet of Edme beer yeast [not lager yeast or ale yeast, just "beer" yeast] a while back, and not being the sort who can stand wastefulness, I was wondering what to do with it. I wasn't about to risk a batch of beer on it, so I used it for a batch of Treberbrot burger buns - best damn bread yeast I have ever used, and I've been baking bread for more than 40 years!
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 07:35:03 pm »
Everything else I have ever read says no starter for dry yeast.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 09:21:23 pm »
Thanks! That helped a lot! That's a great idea using the drippings for a starter, however, how long can this be stored. I usually only brew three or four times a year with my current situation. Can the wort be stored for a few months in the fridge if its sealed well?

Secondly, if I am not worried about haze like with darker beers or wheat beers, should be OK to squeeze just based off of how you explained this right?

Great questions again.  Wort will only keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks before it begins to go sour all by itself.  Plus it's prone to botulism bacteria if not fermented for a few months -- potentially dangerous.  Freezing it might be a perfect option though.

Sure, if you don't care about haze, then squeeze away.  Would work well for wheat beers.

Be careful- Botulism spores can survive freezing and boiling temps; I wouldn't bother storing starter wort if you cannot use it right away.  I know some brewers invest in pressure cooker canners to properly can wort for this reason.  DME is fairly cheap given the amounts needed to create a starter.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 10:18:31 am »
   So, leaving the issue of the safety of storing wort aside, what is the downside to doing a yeast starter with dry yeast, other than the time required? I ask to learn, not to be argumentative.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 11:03:00 am »
I suppose there is no downside, setting aside time and effort.  For me, one of the key benefits of dry yeast is that you can use it with absolutely no prep whatsoever.  Tear it open and sprinkle it on the wort and you're good to go.

As far as botulism, I think the concern is overblown but if you want to be concerned about it I won't tell you not to be.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 11:23:51 am »
   So, leaving the issue of the safety of storing wort aside, what is the downside to doing a yeast starter with dry yeast, other than the time required? I ask to learn, not to be argumentative.
I'm in the no-downside-except-time camp.  If I'm doing a 6 gal. lager brew, Ill usually make a starter if I only have one pack of W34/70 dry.  Also, for any beer, I'll make a starter if the yeast pack is nearing or past its expiry date.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 05:21:34 pm »
IIRC dry yeast are ready to rock, with the proper ergosterol reserves. By doing a starter, you going to use some of those reserves, and getting them recharged to peak levels seems uncertain.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 08:13:36 pm »

Be careful- Botulism spores can survive freezing and boiling temps; I wouldn't bother storing starter wort if you cannot use it right away.  I know some brewers invest in pressure cooker canners to properly can wort for this reason.  DME is fairly cheap given the amounts needed to create a starter.
[/quote]

Have you been talking to my mom again...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski