Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Top Mashing for 2nd Runnings and beer smith  (Read 1569 times)

Offline crustybfv

• 1st Kit
Top Mashing for 2nd Runnings and beer smith
« on: July 29, 2016, 09:52:10 am »
Hi, planning on brewing a double IPA on Sunday - 13 lbs 2-row, 1 lb carapils, 1/2 lb C-60.  I'm planning on no mashout, full volume (9 gallon) mash at 152 for 60, then drain/boil.  I'd like to use the top mash with a couple lbs of specialty grains (1 lb melanoidin, 1/2 lb midnight wheat, maybe some victory) to get a scottish export 2nd running.  Do I do a second (full volume) infusion while my IPA is boiling, then drain into my second boil kettle while IPA is chilling?  And how do I determine target gravity on a second running beer in beersmith?
This is grain, which any fool can use to make bread.  God, however, intended for it a higher purpose - Beer!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Top Mashing for 2nd Runnings and beer smith
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 12:33:15 pm »
I don't think you can do what you want to do in Beersmith.  I use Beersmith 1 so I could be wrong, but I didn't see that feature in Beersmith 2 so I have not upgraded.  (I am planning to upgrade to 2.3 but for other new features).

In my signature line is a link to a parti-gyle calculator for estimating the gravity of your second running beer

Melanoidin needs to be mashed so I would recommend adding some 2-row or similar to supplement the enzymes in the second mash.

>Do I do a second (full volume) infusion while my IPA is boiling, then drain into my second boil kettle while IPA is chilling?<  Yes you can do it that way.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 01:11:32 pm »
A recent zymurgy had a table about the expected gravity of first runnings vs the mash ratio. I do parti-gyles for all of my big beers and use only the first runnings for the big beer. The thicker the mash, the higher the gravity (and less runnings per pound).

1.25 qt/lb will get first runnings close to 1.090, 1.1 upper 90's, 1.7 in the 70's.

You have to figure out the amount of grain backwards. What pre-boil gravity do you want? Let's say 1.090 . So we will mash at 1.25 qt/lb. (Or check the zymurgy chart.) Because of grain absorption (let's say 0.5 qtlb) you will only get 0.75 qt of first runnings per lb of grain. What pre-boil volume do you want? Let's say 6.5 gallons (or 26 quarts). To figure out the amount of grain, divide 26 by 0.75 and you'll require 34.66 lb of grain. Mash 34.66 lb of grain with 1.25 qt/lb (mash volume) = 43.3 qt of water (= 10.83 gallons). Add the volume of wet grain 34.66/3qt = 11.5 qt or 2.9 gal for a total mash volume of 10.83 + 2.9 = 13.7 gallons. Got a big mashtun?

Simply run off the first runnings (6.5 gallons) into the boil kettle. Then batch sparge with 6.5 gallons and collect 6.5 gallons of second runnings. In my experience the gravity of the second runnings will be about half of the gravity of the first runnings or ~ 1.045. If you have a second boil kettle you can have the 2nd beer boiling within 15 minutes of the first.

Brew on
I saved this from someone here. Helped me get a grasp on gravity and particular brewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 12:11:38 pm »
I came across a old article by Randy Mosher on Parti-glye brewing and saved it. its a great write up but you can skip the reading a go strait to the tables 1 and 2 to find gravity for different splits.
Mosher on Pari-Gyle
Scroll down a bit to access the tables via link in the text
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA