Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Curse  (Read 1777 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
The Curse
« on: July 27, 2016, 02:41:41 pm »
Last couple of days in Northern Italy. Strenuous walk in the Dolomites, and then descend into Bolzano/Bozen, Italian/German capital of South Tyrol. Ah, very thirsty, let's go to the most famous brewpub of the city.  Let's see what they have on draft: Weizen, Helles, aha Dunkles! Half a liter of Dunkles arrives. Big gulp. Frown. What's that. Smell, drink. Tastes like a very mediocre homebrew :( What's wrong with that beer? Other sip, think, think, think. Then it dawns upon me: oxidation, wet cardboard. Around us people are happily drinking beer. I ask for the bill and we leave without me finishing the glass. The Curse  :-[
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: The Curse
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 04:50:14 pm »
Still, think I'd like to have a beer in Italy,  glad the rest of the trip seemed great
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
The Curse
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 06:46:57 pm »
Shame. I was in Aviano three years. Didn't drink much beer in Italy (can't say that about wine) mostly Moretti and Peroni ...but Villach Austria was very close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 06:54:16 pm by BrewBama »

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 04:37:50 am »
I have the same with coffee. Can't drink it anymore without internally scoring it. Even in Italy a lot of coffee gets a so-so score.
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 04:45:04 am »
Still, think I'd like to have a beer in Italy,  glad the rest of the trip seemed great
When we left the brewpub we found a Paulaner pub where they had draft Hacker-Pschorr Naturtrub and Paulaner Maerzen. Not the best of beers, but better than the brewpub's. The remainder of my stay I'll stick to the local wines (the keyboard suggested wives) and the local aperitive, Hugo: a cocktail of sparkling wine, elderberry syrup and mint leaves.
Frank P.

Offline Todd H.

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 07:47:31 am »
I have the same with coffee. Can't drink it anymore without internally scoring it. Even in Italy a lot of coffee gets a so-so score.

Ever since going to Rome and having coffee at Tazza d'Oro every day, all coffee pales in comparison.