Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dampfbier  (Read 18858 times)

Offline ghumphrey

• Cellarman
  • Highlands Ranch, CO
Re: Dampfbier
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 05:26:09 pm »
Think I'll try this one as well, possibly with some Danstar Munich that I've got sitting around.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 06:41:49 am »
I made a Dampfbier with mostly pils malt, and a bit of special B for color. Next time I'll leave out the special B. It was a good beer, but I think the cara flavor was too much.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 07:37:47 am »
is this supposed to be a lighter dunkelweizen? looks tasty
Take it easy...

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 08:04:18 am »
is this supposed to be a lighter dunkelweizen? looks tasty

It's a 100% barley beer fermented with a weizen yeast.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline kahtoh

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 06:53:45 pm »
On April 26, 2017 I brewed an all grain Dampfbier.
3 lbs Munich malt 20L
7 lbs. Pilsner malt
.5 oz Warrior hops 18.9% 20 mins boil
1 oz. Saaz 2.2% 5 mins boil
Wyeast 3333 - German Wheat
4 oz. table sugar - partial prime (see below)

Mash in: 15 qts. of water at 165 F.
Held 152 F. for one hour.
Heat to 168 F and hold  15 mins.

Sparge 3 times with 4 qts. 168 F.

Chill and add 2 qts. water to make about 5 gals. sp g. 1.055 @ 78 F.

Pitch.

5/5 Move to secondary.

5/6 sp g. 1.010 @ 68 F.

5/12 Transfer to Corny keg. Add 4 oz. cane sugar. CO2 @ 12 psig.

5/17 First taste; not a lager; not a wheat beer. Subtle nuances of both.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 09:52:03 am »
Nice.  WY3333 is a great hefe yeast.  I don't know why more people don't use it.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 01:17:16 pm »
Not that what you proposed wouldn't make awesome beer, but the history of dampfbier is what pulled me in to give one a shot.

Forrest brewed, crude hops, bad barley malt, terrible water, and weissbier yeast strains.

Sounded like Indiana water and backyard hops to me.  Throw in some Pilsner and flaked or raw barley for the 'poorly malted grain effect.  I truly loved the 94/6 Pils/Flaked Barley and the lowest AA hops you can find or backyard hops for whatever IBUs it tastes like to you.  I really have enjoyed seeing how this is unique every time I brew a batch up.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline brrzack

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2024, 10:18:54 am »
On Jan 18, 2024 I brewed a version of a Dampfbier, which I took to mean a hefe w/out wheat. This was my third brew ever, so I suffered from some impatience during the ferment.

3 gallons: ~4.5% ABV , brewed BIAB
Yeast: Mangrove Jack M20 Bavarian Wheat Yeast, half a packet

4 lbs under-modified Pilsner
.33 lb Vienna
Flaked Rye and Flaked Oats - .5 lb each
Loral bittering hops .5oz,  45 min.
Bergamot (orange-y) 160F; .25oz ; 30 min.

Mash-in/protein: 122 for 10 min
Step 1: 135 for 15 min.
Sach rest: 145 for 45 min
Mash-out: 170 5-10 min.

Kept at 65-70F for 8 days, 2 days at 70F
Transferred off the cake to chill in serving keg for 9 days. Now it's been another two weeks.

Notes: Don't let my mistakes detract from the non-wheat hefe-yeast awesomeness of dampfbier.
I think my flakes got in the way of reaching predicted FG, and instead of doing something to fix it, I just kegged after it sat at its decided FG for four days. Should've added amalyze or maybe repitched a bit.
 It's such a strongly-flavored yeasty beer that CO2 scrubbing massaged my mistakes to 'drinkable' without getting rid of the good tastes. Strong banana yeast flavor as desired from warmer ferment; bright orange for a bit of that Blue-Moon angle. I thought the amount of oats were overkill during the brew, but settled into a silky mouthfeel. No taste of the rye, as the other flavors are too overpowering. Will keep on the backburner and see if a month improves the off-flavors. If not, I'm thinking I'll warm it back up, add some sugar and some dark starter for a bit of oomph and clean-up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2024, 11:23:39 am »
I've never had flaked grains affect FG. What's the theory that they do?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brrzack

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2024, 04:11:32 pm »
Well, I non-sarcastically bow to your experience, but the ego wanted to blame the oatmeal thickness being 'too much adjunct' for the light beer.
I probably shouldn't be spreading my ignorance, since by the numbers those flakes are only 20% of the bill ;D and I wouldn't be surprised to be told I made a few other mistakes flying solo.
After four days I took a benchmark reading, but it stayed unmoving for six more days (looking at notes now). Prob the actual culprit is inexperience, and I should have waited for it to kick up again. idk, it tasted green enough to be cider before I bubbled it. Now it's... okay it's still a little cidery, but a lot less.