Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why Do You Homebrew?  (Read 10040 times)

Offline lmcivor

• 1st Kit
Re: Why Do You Homebrew?
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2016, 06:14:23 am »
I started out brewing because I had two young kids and wasn't allowed by my wife to do anything that required leaving the house. Brewing beer in the garage was a compromise. Sunday morning early rise brew day was a ritual and Friday night bottling/kegging was a nessecity. I'm thankful that was allowed to do it. I'm still not allowed to have fun. (I'm still pretending that it's just really hard work and not fun, don't tell my wife!)

Lloyd

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2016, 11:39:33 am »
I tried it and I liked my first beer.  I keep doing it because I enjoy the processes.  Coming up with recipes, trying to improve them is really fun.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2016, 01:10:27 pm »
I am not sure exactly why I brew. I have thought about it and I can list things I enjoy, however that is not the same as the reason why I brew. So until I figure it out I have accepted that I brew because I am compelled to brew for reasons unknown.

Reading responses and reflecting on the past week which has been filled with researching, reading, planning and organizing in an attempt to resume brewing with a newly built system (soon to be newly built that is) I have realized that brewing is many things to me. The biggest thing is that this hobby (If your up for it) provides is a never ending string of challenges and a quest for knowledge that can not possibly end. My brain consumes information, solves problems and implements ideas, all of the decisions triumphs and failures are mine, and mine alone. Not to mention that all of it is for the greater good that is beer. My own beer.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2016, 06:47:14 pm »
I am not sure exactly why I brew. I have thought about it and I can list things I enjoy, however that is not the same as the reason why I brew. So until I figure it out I have accepted that I brew because I am compelled to brew for reasons unknown.

Reading responses and reflecting on the past week which has been filled with researching, reading, planning and organizing in an attempt to resume brewing with a newly built system (soon to be newly built that is) I have realized that brewing is many things to me. The biggest thing is that this hobby (If your up for it) provides is a never ending string of challenges and a quest for knowledge that can not possibly end. My brain consumes information, solves problems and implements ideas, all of the decisions triumphs and failures are mine, and mine alone. Not to mention that all of it is for the greater good that is beer. My own beer.

Your signature line says you are not too far from a former über regular to these forums, Tom Schmidlen. Stop by Post Doc brewing in Redmond, and say hi for all of us!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2016, 09:57:28 am »
Your signature line says you are not too far from a former über regular to these forums, Tom Schmidlen. Stop by Post Doc brewing in Redmond, and say hi for all of us!

I have not been out there, but I will check it out and pass on the message if I'm able. The brewing world is a small one, or at least it often seems so.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2016, 10:10:00 am »
Yes, Post Doc is one of my favorite breweries.  Excellent beer and one of the most  innovative/creative I've come across.  I also lived in Snohomish for several years - that's where my wife and I were married.

As to the actual theme of this thread...  I brew because brewing combines art and science in the form of a beverage that I and others really enjoy.

That and it is a quest for perfection.  I have the idea in my head about what I want the beer to be, and I just keep working on it.  Sometimes I achieve what i'm going for.  IPA's are one of my two favorite styles and the hardest style for me to master, but I'm zeroing in.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2016, 10:14:41 am »
   What better way for an unreconstructed, unrepentant Mad Scientist to entertain himself? Except maybe for cooking, but it's not like beer and food don't go together, and yes there are those who insist beer is food.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline PrettyBeard

• Cellarman
  • A short sturdy creature fond of drink and industry
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2016, 11:03:58 am »
   What better way for an unreconstructed, unrepentant Mad Scientist to entertain himself? Except maybe for cooking, but it's not like beer and food don't go together, and yes there are those who insist beer is food.
In what way would aged bread soup not be food?

Offline JGF

• 1st Kit
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2016, 02:28:45 pm »
Great thread! A longer reply got caught in the ether so here's the shortened version...

Started a little over 20 years ago because good beer was scarce, especially in a smaller city. Later it was to save money in graduate school. More recently (a few years ago), we moved to all grain and I do it mostly because it's a great activity for my dad and I to do together. As a scientist, it's also a great mix of science and creativity.
Maunesha River (Home)Brewing