Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: recipes for 23C. Oud Bruin  (Read 2553 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
recipes for 23C. Oud Bruin
« on: July 26, 2016, 05:40:56 am »
Does anyone have recipes for 23C. Oud Bruin? I need to collect some for a beer judge course I'm taking (not BJCP based). I also need to provide recipes for Flemish Red, but that's easier. Good, true to style Oud Bruin recipes should be clearly distinct from Flemish Red, and are not easy to find.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: recipes for 23C. Oud Bruin
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 10:03:06 am »
In practice how different are the two styles once you discount all the backsweetened commercial beers? Most of the recipes I've seen out there for "traditional" oud bruin can also be found listed as "traditional" Flemmish reds too.

The recipe for oud bruin in Wild Brews is 70% pils, 10% caramunich, 10% caravienne and 10% corn with IBUs at 25. I believe this is based around Goudenband (which is just sacc and lacto aged in steel).

Most American renditions of the style tend to include less crystal with some roasted malts. This recipe from Rare Barrel is a good example (https://beerandbrewing.com/VeXzqR8AAEGnjsAc/article/the-rare-barrel-dark-ale-recipe).

Often the recipes that seem to have any credibility (in my eyes, at least) seem surprisingly close to English brown ales and English porters by grain bill. Even the recipe in Goudenband could have some late hops added and pass off without too much thought as a brown porter recipe.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 10:33:51 am »
In practice how different are the two styles once you discount all the backsweetened commercial beers? Most of the recipes I've seen out there for "traditional" oud bruin can also be found listed as "traditional" Flemmish reds too.
That's my basic problem:clearly show the difference in recipes. BJCP says "A deeper malt character distinguishes
these beers from Flanders red ales. The Oud Bruin is less acetic and maltier than a Flanders Red, and the fruity flavors are more malt-oriented." I'm not too familiar with this style, Flemish red is much more common where I live. So I'll have to do some extensive tasting when I get back from vacation.

The recipe for oud bruin in Wild Brews is 70% pils, 10% caramunich, 10% caravienne and 10% corn with IBUs at 25. I believe this is based around Goudenband (which is just sacc and lacto aged in steel).
I have that book at home, so that's probably a good reference, thanks.

Most American renditions of the style tend to include less crystal with some roasted malts. This recipe from Rare Barrel is a good example (https://beerandbrewing.com/VeXzqR8AAEGnjsAc/article/the-rare-barrel-dark-ale-recipe).

No "loosely based" recipes, sorry ;)
Frank P.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 10:05:11 am »
That's my basic problem:clearly show the difference in recipes. BJCP says "A deeper malt character distinguishes these beers from Flanders red ales. The Oud Bruin is less acetic and maltier than a Flanders Red, and the fruity flavors are more malt-oriented." I'm not too familiar with this style, Flemish red is much more common where I live. So I'll have to do some extensive tasting when I get back from vacation.

I'm not sure the actual recipe distinguishes the styles as much as fermentation drives a difference. Modern Belgian oud bruins are also often just lacto and sacc so they don't dry out as much and more malt sweetness remains to oxidize into sherry-like fruit flavors with time. They tend to be stainless aged rather than oak aged like reds. You can find other unusual processes like Petrus oud bruin which is a blend of a sour pale with a clean brown ale and IMO tastes more like a red than an oud bruin like Goudenband but not quite that sweet-sour of a backsweetened red like Monk's Cafe or Duchess.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 12:23:13 pm »
FYI I found a recipe on the Dingemans site:

http://www.dingemansmout.be/sites/dingemansmout.be/files/downloads/Belgian%20Style%20Oud%20Bruin%20Dingemans%20recipe.pdf

A lot more cara malts, a 3 hour boil, and Brett.
Frank P.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 06:23:39 pm »
This is way off topic, but I'm curious:  what's the story behind your login name?  Is it as o vinous as "same difference?"
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 12:26:26 pm »
This is way off topic, but I'm curious:  what's the story behind your login name?  Is it as o vinous as "same difference?"

It's my old twitter account name. I studied Latin, so you have to take the meaning of the name literally. Nothing to do with being gay (yes, people have sought me out for my name) or eccentric. I am simply a man who does not (like to?) reside in the mainstream of things or ideas or people (eccentricus = ex centro, out of the center). I must have drunk too much alcohol when I came up with the name, but I kept it. For some reason or other it seems handy from time to time. Sometimes it also works against me. Boring, isn't it ;)
Frank P.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 01:01:59 pm »
Well that makes sense.  I typed that on my phone, bur I still should have caught "o vinous"!  Yike.  Obvious is what I intended.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 02:58:52 pm »
Well that makes sense.  I typed that on my phone, bur I still should have caught "o vinous"!  Yike.  Obvious is what I intended.

'bur'?
Frank P.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 04:12:43 pm »

'bur'?

I'm hopeless
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 04:15:51 pm »
Always better than hopless.
Frank P.