Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stewarding obligation in podcasts and competitions  (Read 1254 times)

Offline lupulus

• Brewer
  • Think like a proton, stay positive!
Stewarding obligation in podcasts and competitions
« on: July 31, 2016, 05:32:59 pm »
I went for a run today, and as usual I played one of the well-known podcasts, Dr Homebrew (Episode #78). The first beer was a Spruce tips IPA, and at the end of the discussion, the judges indicated that one of the things to correct was the haze of the beer. The brewer responded that the beer was not hazy, and that to mimic shipment shake his bottle every day during shipment time then when the package arrived, put it in the fridge, and that he was drinking along with the judges and the beer was clear. To this, JP admitted that the beer was probably shaken during the drive to the studio for the program. No apology, no "we should do better from now on", nothing. Many, many times in the same show judges noted haziness in the evaluated beers, but because the brewers did not do the same process as the spruce tip guy, Dr Homebrew got away with blaming the shipper.
Honestly, I was appalled that the beer was not at the judging location for at least a few days to avoid this problem and give the beer a proper evaluation.
Haze changes the beer quite a bit, sometimes for the better (weissbier, wit), sometimes for the worse, specially if the haze is not hops (eg New England IPA).
So, my question to the forum is whether there is in your view an implicit obligation that when you send a beer to be judged, to a podcast in this case but it can be a competition, the Brewing Network (or Competition Organizers) should do their best to ensure the beer is stewarded appropriately.
What say you...
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”  Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
Re: Stewarding obligation in podcasts and competitions
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 07:47:38 pm »
In either case, Dr. Homebrew or competitions, the benefit to you as the brewer is feedback.  Not all feedback is accurate or useful.  You can choose to accept the comments as accurate or not, based on how they jive with your own assessment.  Everything else, including the handling of your entry, is beyond your control.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 10:12:33 am »
I listened to that podcast once and thought it was pretty bad. The feedback wasn't particularly insightful and much of what I heard was not correct about the style they were discussing (either to BJCP or reality).

The feedback has some value. If the beer is picking up noticeable haze from a drive then that's feedback that the brewer could look at options to clear the beer better before bottling. I mean, I have the same problem with my bottling (and could do more to clear my own beers) but it is something for him to consider.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 10:37:52 am »
In either case, Dr. Homebrew or competitions, the benefit to you as the brewer is feedback.  Not all feedback is accurate or useful.  You can choose to accept the comments as accurate or not, based on how they jive with your own assessment.  Everything else, including the handling of your entry, is beyond your control.

My sentiments exactly.  Often times, with BJCP competitions and the like, we do NOT get what we pay for, and there is really NOT anything we can do about it.  In future, ask yourself if the expense and trouble is really worthwhile.  To me and to many others, it really is NOT.

I listened to that podcast once and thought it was pretty bad. The feedback wasn't particularly insightful and much of what I heard was not correct about the style they were discussing (either to BJCP or reality).

The feedback has some value. If the beer is picking up noticeable haze from a drive then that's feedback that the brewer could look at options to clear the beer better before bottling. I mean, I have the same problem with my bottling (and could do more to clear my own beers) but it is something for him to consider.

Also very true.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:40:15 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Stevie

Stewarding obligation in podcasts and competitions
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 10:48:56 am »
Maybe comps need a reworking with tracked chain of custody and environment sensors to ensure entries arrive in good condition. ;)

Brian on Dr Homebrew is actually a very good judge. I don't listen often, but his feedback has always seems appropriate.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:25:32 am by Stevie »

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 11:09:24 am »
FWIW - I had a beer on Dr. Homebrew and another on Brewing with Style. Neither of them had those types of issues, but I'm sure it happens - especially if the beer has minimal time between arrival and judging (often they taste some offsite prior to taping and then another round on-air).

Also keep in mind that the "mishandling during shipping" is a running gag on the show. Sometimes it's probably true, but I've sensed at other times that they were trying to give a possible explanation not having another cause that could be determined with the info at hand.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 11:17:01 am »
The brewer responded that the beer was not hazy, and that to mimic shipment shake his bottle every day during shipment time then when the package arrived, put it in the fridge, and that he was drinking along with the judges and the beer was clear. To this, JP admitted that the beer was probably shaken during the drive to the studio for the program.
I don't remember this specific episode, but when I sent mine in I did a similar trick. I packed one bottle in a padded bag in my car and drove it back and forth to work with me for a week (leaving it in my hundred plus degree car in the Texas heat). I at least imagined I could tell a difference in the flavor between that and a bottle stored cold (though I didn't do a proper triangle test).

In spite of shipping ground for a week via UPS, Doc mentioned the clarity of the beer tastes on the show several times (so I assume no ill effects from it transport and shaking). I understand that your original point was about giving it time to chill and settle, but I don't have any insight into how that process went or how it compares to this one.