Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: No bitter addition?  (Read 3737 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
No bitter addition?
« on: August 01, 2016, 08:51:47 pm »
 I'm sure some of you have done this and I was wondering how the beer turned out? I'm thinking of doing either my IPA, my house Pale ale, or my every day everyone pleaser Blonde ale with no bittering addition and just increasing the late additions to get the same IBUs that the recipe calls for.   Does the beer lose complexity? More flavor? What do y'all think.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
Re: No bitter addition?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 10:57:46 pm »
I have yet to do this but a friend of mine on the east coast brewed an IPA with next to nothing at 60, and copious late additions as was pretty pleased, he said tons of hop flavor, and juicy. He said juicy alot and seemed pretty pleased with the results.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline stevecrawshaw

• Cellarman
    • My Recipes
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 05:50:20 am »
I've done this a couple of times and never managed to get enough bitterness despite heroic levels of late hopping. In fact with one beer I had to add bitterness back with a filtered boiled hop tea!
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 06:09:58 am »
I'll be trying this soon. I plan on using no crystal malt, just pale malt, Munich or Vienna, and flaked oats and rye. Without the crystal there is much less need for excessive bitterness to balance sweetness. I have made a couple IPAs in the last two months with this grist and very light bittering additions and like the results.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 06:16:02 am »
Yes I have done hopbursting.  Yes it's still bitter enough.  No it doesn't lose complexity.  Yes it gains hop flavor.

Do it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 06:18:46 am »
I don't normally do whirlpool additions right at flameout because I like the hop character I get at cooler temps, but this is a situation to do it. Large additions of late hops plus a substantial flameout steeped addition will give you a nice level of bitterness (aside from good flavor and aroma). And as per the article posted a few months back (by Denny?), a healthy dry hop addition can influence the perception of bitterness, too.
Jon H.

Offline jeremy0209

• Cellarman
    • Brewing with Jeremy
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 06:19:34 am »
Once upon a time (in 2014), I brewed an all hop stand IPA. 4oz Cascade, 1oz Columbus, and 1oz Simcoe in a 30 minute hop stand, stirring every 5 minutes. Then, I dry hopped with an ounce each of Columbus and Cascade. According to Beersmith, the calculated IBUs were 71 (Tinseth). In actuality, the IBUs were no where near 71, but it was still a very tasty beer. It even scored a 36 at the NHC, that year. It may have scored a bit higher if it was entered as a Pale Ale instead of an IPA.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 08:34:32 pm »
This is pretty much my standard IPA procedure. All my hops go in at flameout, followed by a 90 minute hop stand. The beer I had measured came in at 98 IBU, but it tasted closer to 60. Plenty bitter for an IPA, but the dominant character is massive hop flavor.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 09:16:42 pm »
I've done it and probably my best PA I've brewed.   I put in 8 oz at flame out.   I did cheat a bit and put in .75 oz Columbus FWH.  dry hopped 5 oz.  i need to do it again.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 09:26:32 am »
I've tried it a few times and was generally unhappy with the results.  Maybe I didn't try it on the right styles.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 09:33:03 am »
Do you shorten the boil when you do these long hop stands or stay with a 60 min boil?

-Tony

-Tony

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 10:52:05 am »
I've tried it a few times and was generally unhappy with the results.  Maybe I didn't try it on the right styles.
Maybe it's not your tastes? If you're looking for a firm bitterness, this isn't going to get you there. Even at 98 measured IBU's I found the bitterness to be a bit softer than a traditional boil addition. I have some suspicions that humulinones (the compounds hops that add bitterness in a dry hop addition, but are not as bitter as iso-alpha acids) may have some role in this, but that is just speculation on my part.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 11:57:39 am »
Maybe it's not your tastes? If you're looking for a firm bitterness, this isn't going to get you there. Even at 98 measured IBU's I found the bitterness to be a bit softer than a traditional boil addition. I have some suspicions that humulinones (the compounds hops that add bitterness in a dry hop addition, but are not as bitter as iso-alpha acids) may have some role in this, but that is just speculation on my part.

Undoubtedly personal tastes play a big role.  For most of the beers I make I prefer a firm bitterness.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 07:20:05 am »
I have made a cream ale where all of the hops go into the whirlpool right after flameout. It works for that beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 08:42:57 am »
I have made a cream ale where all of the hops go into the whirlpool right after flameout. It works for that beer.

Same here, Kiwanda style.
Jon H.