Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can I get a show of hands... dry hop temp  (Read 7595 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Can I get a show of hands... dry hop temp
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2016, 07:56:03 pm »
I'm going to AiH this afternoon, will now pick one up.
I think mine was $32 or something.  It connects to one port on your keg and has an adjustable gauge on it which may read in PSI or "BAR".  I seem to remember someone telling me to set the spunding valve to "8 bar".
A bar is just under 1 Atmosphere. 8 bar would be roughly 8*14.5 PSI = 116 PSI, so that was bad advice. Even .8 bar is on the high side. 8 PSI is more in the range for a lager at lager temps.
I just remembered the number wrong.  I knew it was "8" but I forgot the decimal... ".8 bar". 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2016, 10:06:42 pm »
Gotta say, I'd like to see somebody with a DO meter do a batch with Brewtan B and no spunding, just basic closed transfers, and compare the difference in final levels. Might be interesting to see.
Maybe I am not understanding you correctly.... But, as I understand it, Brewtan does not prevent O2 from going into solution. It only prevents the O2 from carrying out its deleterious reactions.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2016, 10:47:37 pm »
Gotta say, I'd like to see somebody with a DO meter do a batch with Brewtan B and no spunding, just basic closed transfers, and compare the difference in final levels. Might be interesting to see.
Maybe I am not understanding you correctly.... But, as I understand it, Brewtan does not prevent O2 from going into solution. It only prevents the O2 from carrying out its deleterious reactions.
Right.  I think we discussed this on Brews-Bros but the DO meter might show the same for both batches but the brewtan batch may be different because the O2 couldn't work its negative magic.  Just when you thought that homebrewing couldn't have more myths and mysteries, a nutty brownish powder arrives from Japan to throw us all a curveball!  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2016, 08:06:00 am »
Right.  I think we discussed this on Brews-Bros but the DO meter might show the same for both batches but the brewtan batch may be different because the O2 couldn't work its negative magic.  Just when you thought that homebrewing couldn't have more myths and mysteries, a nutty brownish powder arrives from Japan to throw us all a curveball!  :D

Yeah, didn't think it through. In theory the O2 might well not be reduced in solution but nonetheless wouldn't be able to produce the negative result. Brain fart on my part.  ;)
Jon H.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2016, 08:24:38 am »

Yeah, didn't think it through. In theory the O2 might well not be reduced in solution but nonetheless wouldn't be able to produce the negative result. Brain fart on my part.  ;)
I think I came to the same conclusion originally because I was equating brewtan with LODO brewing which is not necessarily true but the result can be similar I'm guessing.  I'm also suggesting that brewtan is like LODO brewing for lazy people... perfect for me!  :D  When I first saw some of the things necessary for true LODO brewing, I envisioned quitting my job and clearing my calendar.  I just can't commit to that kind of process especially with my ghetto-like system. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2016, 08:38:22 am »

I think I came to the same conclusion originally because I was equating brewtan with LODO brewing which is not necessarily true but the result can be similar I'm guessing.  I'm also suggesting that brewtan is like LODO brewing for lazy people... perfect for me!  :D  When I first saw some of the things necessary for true LODO brewing, I envisioned quitting my job and clearing my calendar.  I just can't commit to that kind of process especially with my ghetto-like system. 

Same here!
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2016, 09:49:24 am »
I don't want to sound like a cheerleader for brewtan but this is how I felt after sampling the first brewtan beer I made... a helles that I make A LOT.  Yes, there were other variables that I already mentioned but the beer was night and day different based on years of making the same recipe.  There were calls for data and triangle testing.  I said, "I don't need no stinking testing!" but then the "confirmation bias" came into the picture and so now I just keep my mouth shut and drink my beer.  :D  Again, whatever it is... something has changed for the better.

Same here, Ken.  I think there's something really different and better about the Brewtan beers, but I won't try to convince anyone of that til I do some triangle testing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2016, 09:51:06 am »

This is one of the reasons I want to talk to Joe.  A lot of this info is based on my memory of discussions with him....and I'd been drinking! 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2016, 09:54:18 am »
I don't want to sound like a cheerleader for brewtan but this is how I felt after sampling the first brewtan beer I made... a helles that I make A LOT.  Yes, there were other variables that I already mentioned but the beer was night and day different based on years of making the same recipe.  There were calls for data and triangle testing.  I said, "I don't need no stinking testing!" but then the "confirmation bias" came into the picture and so now I just keep my mouth shut and drink my beer.  :D  Again, whatever it is... something has changed for the better.

Same here, Ken.  I think there's something really different and better about the Brewtan beers, but I won't try to convince anyone of that til I do some triangle testing.
I definitely don't want to convince anyone.  I know that many brewers are skeptical about this so all I can do is report what I'm seeing and tasting.  I don't really care for other brewers trying to convince me that I'm not seeing or tasting what I think but I can't control that part.  I do believe that the GBF guys are actually in the same situation where they're telling people what they have found but they're not necessarily trying to convince anyone.  The attitudes though...  >:(
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:58:11 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2016, 09:58:07 am »

I sampled my Brewtan O-fest last night and it's clear now. No triangle to offer yet, but it's noticeably different and better too, Denny. The malt character is softer, complex,  and more rounded than usual. It's just anecdotal until I do a double batch soon for triangles but I'm pretty encouraged, enough to keep using it. I'm gonna fill a couple bottles to leave in the fridge for 6 months and then eval. Curious about that. 
Jon H.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2016, 10:00:12 am »

I sampled my Brewtan O-fest last night and it's clear now. No triangle to offer yet, but it's noticeably different and better too, Denny. The malt character is softer, complex,  and more rounded than usual. It's just anecdotal until I do a double batch soon for triangles but I'm pretty encouraged, enough to keep using it. I'm gonna fill a couple bottles to leave in the fridge for 6 months and then eval. Curious about that.
The fact that the beers are clear is a very pleasant surprise to me.  Every brewtan beer I have made so far almost seems filtered.  The other part... softer, smoother, more integrated, the depth of malt character and the clarity of the hops... all consistent with what I'm seeing too.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2016, 10:22:35 am »
Yeah, the clarity is noticeable, too. From runoff to wort into the fermenter, to final product.
Jon H.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2016, 10:27:23 am »
Yeah, the clarity is noticeable, too. From runoff to wort into the fermenter, to final product.
Yeah, recircing the wort from the MT... it's brilliant.  Brewtan is a wonder product!  :D
Ken from Chicago.