Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Any Grainfather users?  (Read 1917 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Any Grainfather users?
« on: August 07, 2016, 10:00:08 am »
Grainfather just sent me one of their systems to mess around with.  I have a question concerning its assembly and was wondering if anybody here uses one and could help me.  Also any tips you might have.  TIA!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: Any Grainfather users?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 04:27:42 pm »
Don't have one myself, but it's quite popular here in BE/NL. I can ask/look around on local forums if you don't find anyone directly.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 04:32:57 pm »
Don't have one myself, but it's quite popular here in BE/NL. I can ask/look around on local forums if you don't find anyone directly.

Thanks, Frank.  I've got feelers out so I hope I'll hear something soon.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 04:41:45 pm »
Denny, you're going to have all sorts of automated gadgets before long. I look forward to see how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 04:45:06 pm »
I guess we can still consider you a "practical brewer" considering it's pretty "practical" when you get this stuff for free. ;)

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 03:47:39 am »
Hi Denny, I use a Grainfather.  What's your question?
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 09:48:32 am »

The question is how the hell do you seat the top and bottom plates when the silicone rings keep slipping off!  I've gotten some suggestions to try.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 10:10:01 am »

The question is how the hell do you seat the top and bottom plates when the silicone rings keep slipping off!  I've gotten some suggestions to try.

Ah yes, it's not the easiest.  The bottom plate I put in place without the pipe attached to it.  I hold it oriented vertically, and push it down until it reaches the bottom, and then slowly and carefully twist it until it's in place.  It took me a good few goes to it right.  The top plate I do the same thing, but when you've added the grain, the flour that sticks to the side makes it a lot easier than the bottom plate. 

Fitting the bottom plate definitely seems to get easier once the GF has been used.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 10:28:59 am »

Ah yes, it's not the easiest.  The bottom plate I put in place without the pipe attached to it.  I hold it oriented vertically, and push it down until it reaches the bottom, and then slowly and carefully twist it until it's in place.  It took me a good few goes to it right.  The top plate I do the same thing, but when you've added the grain, the flour that sticks to the side makes it a lot easier than the bottom plate. 

Fitting the bottom plate definitely seems to get easier once the GF has been used.

Spray some water or starsan on the silicon. That seems to help me.
Ralph R.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 10:37:43 am »
Thanks for the tips, guys!

www.dennybrew.com