Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How much victory is too much?  (Read 5355 times)

Offline Todd H.

• Cellarman
How much victory is too much?
« on: August 03, 2016, 08:52:45 am »
I'm not trying to fit into any particular style, just produce something I feel like drinking right now.  I want a pale ale with  slightly toasty/biscuity and honey flavors (not overtly sweet, though).  I was going to bitter with warrior (IBU:OG ~0.5) and finish with columbus and centennial or cascade, and likely ferment with 002 (I get ~80% attenuation with this strain, so I don't think it'll finish all that sweet).  I'm aiming for an OG of ~1.055-1.060.

I was thinking 82.5% pale 2-row, 10% victory, 5% honey malt, 2.5% wheat.

My question is, what would 10% victory be like in a fairly simple grist?  I've only used it once, in a bitter with a lot of C-40 and C-120, so I don't really know what to expect here with only 5% honey malt alongside.

I might drop the honey malt down a bit, but I like how well it plays with hop flavors.

Thanks for any feedback,
Todd

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: How much victory is too much?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 09:09:40 am »
Personally, I like Victory better in the 5-7% range but I know of brewers who've used 10% and liked their beers. It gets pretty assertive past a certain point. $0.02  .
Jon H.

Offline Todd H.

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 09:22:57 am »
Personally, I like Victory better in the 5-7% range but I know of brewers who've used 10% and liked their beers. It gets pretty assertive past a certain point. $0.02  .

Thanks for the tip.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 11:37:12 am »
I have only really used it in my house IPA occasionally and even then, only at 4.4%-5%, so no help on the 10%. say try it and tweak later if needed(with limited time, I usually really hate this answer, but its all I can really add)
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 04:30:44 pm »
I think 10% would be pushing it. I look at Victory as an accent malt that gives a similar character to a rich Pale Ale malt like Maris Otter. If you want more than an accent note, then you are better suited using MO as your base malt instead of pushing the Victory higher.

You can replace the "Victory" with "Aromatic" and the "Maris Otter" with "Light Munich" is the above statement, by the way.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 06:40:38 pm »
No such thing as too much victory. Too much victory is something losers would say. Go for the victory. The Pats don't pull Fragile Brady when they clinch, they go for the win and run up the score while doing it.

Oh. victory malt. 5-10% is about right.

Offline Todd H.

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 10:48:39 am »
Thanks guys.  I think I'll dial down the victory malt a bit based on the comments, and maybe for fun try toasting wheat flakes for a bit of added toastiness, if that's a word.  No idea if 2.5% toasted wheat would be noticeable, but why not try?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 11:19:25 am »
Thanks guys.  I think I'll dial down the victory malt a bit based on the comments, and maybe for fun try toasting wheat flakes for a bit of added toastiness, if that's a word.  No idea if 2.5% toasted wheat would be noticeable, but why not try?
You could certainly try, but I find that I get the character you're looking for from torrified wheat without needing to toast it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 01:33:39 pm »
You could certainly try, but I find that I get the character you're looking for from torrified wheat without needing to toast it.

+1 to torrified wheat. I use it in every bitter I make now.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 03:55:31 pm »
I've never terrified wheat.  Does it scare easily?
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197