Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experiment results - Olive Oil Aeration  (Read 1448 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Experiment results - Olive Oil Aeration
« on: August 03, 2016, 11:06:22 am »
Does using olive oil in your wort substitute for traditional aeration?  Find out....we get the most definitive results yet!  https://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/writeups/writeup-olive-oil-vs-no-aeration
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Todd H.

• Cellarman
Re: Experiment results - Olive Oil Aeration
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 11:36:03 am »
Does using olive oil in your wort substitute for traditional aeration?  Find out....we get the most definitive results yet!  https://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/writeups/writeup-olive-oil-vs-no-aeration

It's nice to see experiment/exbeeriment results that make perfect sense every once in awhile.  50 microliters of a substance that is not miscible with water on top of a volume of aqueous solution 380000 times greater has no effect on the yeast living within.  Interesting that the olive oil hypothesis ever took hold!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 03:09:33 pm »
I thought this was debunked years ago.  But maybe it was clinging to life in the dark recess of the net.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 03:22:51 pm »
I thought this was debunked years ago.  But maybe it was clinging to life in the dark recess of the net.

AFAIK, it's never been tested to this extent.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 03:52:21 pm »

AFAIK, it's never been tested to this extent.

OK.  That's probably true.  I'll need to make time to read the details. Despite my better intentions I got drawn from the Brewtan threads back into the 56 page thread on HBT started by our German friends. What a time suck.

I just remember the olive oil theory being hot for a bit and then being debunked.  Maybe sort of like stir plates.  Maybe I've been around too long...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 04:03:50 pm »
I just remember the olive oil theory being hot for a bit and then being debunked.  Maybe sort of like stir plates.  Maybe I've been around too long...

Yeah, no joke. A lot of trendy techniques have come and gone since '92. I remember having Charlie P's book and just winging it.....as I racked everything to secondary.
Jon H.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 06:52:50 am »
What's next, debunking the sea monkey aeration?

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 11:43:17 am »
What's next, debunking the sea monkey aeration?

I saw the South Park episode on what can happen in a Sea Monkey tank.  Not worth the risk of nuclear war if you ask me.   8)

I tried it a couple of times after BYO had an article on saying it seemed to work.  I never saw any difference over my normal (pretty awful) brewing technique at the time so I walked away from it.  Good to know it doesn't work.

Thanks!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?