Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rib World Tour  (Read 9441 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Rib World Tour
« on: November 13, 2009, 07:30:34 am »
Figured I'd compile the pics I managed to snap of several of the (mostly pork spare) rib cooks I've done over the past year or so! 

These were apple spiced ribs, marinated in a spice-heavy apple sauce and sauced with a caramelized apple juice concentrate syrup.  They weren't as good as I had anticipated, but they were good.  A purely sweet rib is a bit one dimensional, you also need the saltiness and the spiciness as well to really balance it.  Served with a bit o' cider and some beans cooked on the smoker.

Beef back ribs with my favorite local sauce, Gates Extra Hot.  Hefeweizen, pickles, and sweet potatoes round out the meal.

These are a really good recipe adapted from Steven Raichlen...the marinade is habaneros and typical jerk seasoning components (green onions, parsley, citrus juice and zest, allspice, soy), and the finishing sauce is a sweet, rich rum based sauce that uses lime and orange juice and zest, soy, lots of brown sugar, and blackstrap rum...pictured with a bit of the same.

You can't tell because of the flash, but these are actually flaming here...herb crusted grilled ribs flambeed in ouzo.  Grilled garlic bread and watered down ouzo to go with.

Indian tandoori style ribs, or my approximation of them.  Spicy yogurt marinade with a rich, strong finishing sauce basted on at the end of cooking, with the rice made with a bit more of the reserved marinade, and all sprinkled with cilantro.

A favorite of mine...sweet smoked ribs marinated in a hoisin/soy mixture, made quite sticky with more of the marinade cooked down into a sauce, comprised of soy, sugar, ginger, garlic, chili peppers, and other stuff which I fail to recollect.  The scallions add a very nice flavor.

Same thing, again, with some lo mein.

Thai style ribs using sweet chili sauce and crushed peanuts.  Rice noodles and I think a good Belgian beer with.

Japanese ribs, using shichimi togarashi and a soy/garlic glaze, with noodles and a nigorizake that I am partial to.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Rib World Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 07:48:59 am »
Ribs it is, nic!  Those all look wonderful!  My stomach is growling already.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 07:51:14 am »
Darn it!!!  Why did I read this post?!?!?

It 10am and now I want ribs!!  gggggrrrrrr  :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 09:50:38 am »

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 09:59:23 am »
Damn! I may be asking for recipes soon! I buy in bulk when spareribs go on sale for 99 cents. Have about 4 slabs in the freezer. Cooking one up Saturday with a simple dry rub. SWMBO likes em dry rubbed with dippin sauce. I like 'wet' ribs myself but dry are good too!
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 06:49:31 am »
Damn Nic, if you had a rib restaurant it would be worth it to get on a plane just to go there.

Coarse when I got there I would not be able to decide witch item on the menu to get.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 07:18:35 am »
I'm really interested in the asian-inspired ribs.  They look awesome -- well, they all look awesome, but the asian-inspired ones look particularly good!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 05:52:01 pm »
The Chinese ribs are a Steve Raichlen invention, and they are really, really good! 

http://recipe.aol.com/recipe/chinatown-ribs/74187

He makes them for baby back ribs but I just buy spares and trim them to st louis cut, save a lot of money that way and the ribs are just as good.  The other Asian recipes I think I sort of "winged", I probably never used/wrote down a recipe.

My favorite rib recipe of these is a tossup between the caribbean and the chinese styles.  One thing I've never tried is a mexican style, perhaps smoked with a cumin/oregano/chili dry rub and basted with a rich mole sauce?

Offline k4df4l

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 03:59:33 pm »
Why did I have to click on this right before dinner!!!  Mighty tasty looking ribs and they all sound so good.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 05:54:45 pm »
The Chinese ribs are a Steve Raichlen invention, and they are really, really good! 

http://recipe.aol.com/recipe/chinatown-ribs/74187

He makes them for baby back ribs but I just buy spares and trim them to st louis cut, save a lot of money that way and the ribs are just as good.  The other Asian recipes I think I sort of "winged", I probably never used/wrote down a recipe.

My favorite rib recipe of these is a tossup between the caribbean and the chinese styles.  One thing I've never tried is a mexican style, perhaps smoked with a cumin/oregano/chili dry rub and basted with a rich mole sauce?

I really need to try the asian inspired ribs. That recipe sounds like a real winner. Serve them up with some good Sake and some asian noodles. MMM MMM GOOD!  8)
Ron Price

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 12:29:36 pm »
nic, do you have Raichlen's book (the bbq bible)?  If so, does he have any Jamaican-jerk bbq recipes in there?  I just picked up some pecan wood from my smoke wood supplier today.  I might try smoking some jerk-style spare ribs this weekend.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 12:48:08 pm »
nic, do you have Raichlen's book (the bbq bible)?  If so, does he have any Jamaican-jerk bbq recipes in there?  I just picked up some pecan wood from my smoke wood supplier today.  I might try smoking some jerk-style spare ribs this weekend.

Matt - there is a recipe for Jamaican-jerk pork in the BBQ Bible... I haven't tried it yet but would like to sometime.
Ron Price

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 01:06:31 pm »
Care to share that recipe?  Or should we refrain from sharing published recipes on this forum?
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 02:04:27 pm »
I have the BBQ Bible and his Ribs book...the latter I would much more recommend for ribs, the former is an interesting sort of general world guide to BBQ, featuring a lot more ethnic cuisine from more obscure cultures, which is interesting, but the rib recipes are pretty sparse.

My favorite jerk style ribs (pictured above):

http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2006/06/14/buccaneer_baby_backs/
http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2006/06/14/rumbullion_barbecue_sauce/

Be sure to do the BBQ sauce....a lot of the sauces Raichlen does aren't favorites of mine but this one is awesome...I usually ramp up the amount of citrus zest in both the marinade and the sauce...it comes out orangey/limey, sweet, and quite spicy from the habanero, but not overly so.

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 03:02:48 pm »
Awesome.  Thanks for those links.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial