Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation freezer  (Read 1239 times)

Offline nickcw

• 1st Kit
Fermentation freezer
« on: August 03, 2016, 04:50:19 pm »
I have just purchase a new 5.9cu chest freezer and an ITC-308 Dual output temp. controller.
Everything is set up and working great. my concern is it bounces back and forth on temps of 2 degrees
The controller is set for a 1 degree heating and 1 degree cooling activation.

The probe is in a termowell so is measuring actual wort temp.

I set the controller at 68F and its warmer in the garage so it rises to 69F and kicks on.  It will cool to 68F and turn off. with the ambient temp in the freezer being cooler. It continues to drive the wort temp down. At 67 degrees my heat light i put in there will bring the ambient temp up. Which in turn raises the wort temp.

The process then repeats it's self.  Is this normal and am i just stressing over 2 degrees.  What makes me think there is something wrong, is i hear people on the forum that only have single outputs.  If i didn't have the heating option.  who knows how low it would go before it would rise back up.

Any input would help

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Fermentation freezer
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 05:01:01 pm »
All I can say is that I have mine set up the same way and don't seem to have those swings. But mine is in the basement garage with less ambient temp fluctuation. I have the same settings of 1 degree, but my sensor is taped and insulated against the side of my fermenters. The massive volume of wort should not move too quickly in temp by the unit itself going 1-3 degrees higher or lower. I think you're sweating the small stuff. More experienced people will add to this I'm sure but you're likely to see similar responses
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 05:54:36 pm »
I have a similar freezer for my fermentation chamber.  I would make sure the probe is pushed all the way down in the theromowell.  In my setup the freezer will take the temperature down a few degrees past the set point, but the yeast generally get it warmed back up so I don't sweat it.  I would watch out for short cycling (on/off) the freezer that will decrease it's life. 

-Tony

-Tony

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 06:26:27 pm »
The issue is carryover. By the time the probe hits temp, the rest of the wort has been over cooled. Try attaching the probe to the side of the fermenter. Also, you likely do not need to have both heat and cooling at the same time.

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 08:03:06 pm »
+1 with Stevie
AHA Member 900001775