Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dedicated home-brew supply store?  (Read 3340 times)

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
Re: Dedicated home-brew supply store?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 09:34:54 am »
I'm really loving SoCo Homebrew here in South Austin (open about 2 years now). They have everything I need, and a really knowledgeable and helpful staff. Reading about your situation, it makes me feel guilty to say this, but I was so excited when SoCo Homebrew opened up so that I didn't have to drive 30 minutes across town to Austin Homebrew Supply, also a dedicated, full-service shop with knowledgeable staff.

If I were in your situation, I wouldn't "vote with my dollars" for stores that are only doing it halfway. It's nice to have someone that might stock something you need, but if the knowledge and dedication is that poor, they're probably not taking great care of the products either.

I agree with zwiller -- it smells like an opportunity for someone. Clearly if 2 or 3 stores are "doing it halfway", then there's probably enough business for someone to make a living if they come in and do it right.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 10:20:56 am »
We have 2 here that are strictly brewing.
AiH is all things fermented: Beer, wine, mead, cheese, vinegar, spirits, what am I forgetting? There are parts of the store that are not for me, but it increases their revenue stream.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 10:26:34 am »
We have 2 here that are strictly brewing.
AiH is all things fermented: Beer, wine, mead, cheese, vinegar, spirits, what am I forgetting? There are parts of the store that are not for me, but it increases their revenue stream.

So is at least one of ours....just didn't want to get too far off track! And yogurt and coffee.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 10:32:07 am »
My LHBS, Southern Hills Homebrew Supply just south of Roanoke, VA, is fortunately only 25 minutes from home. They also have wine supplies, but beer seems to be his big business. Also the home of Frankenyeast. Robb the owner will make a big starter with a bunch of different almost expired yeasts and then give away vials. Brulosophy has been xBmting with it here recently. Great shop!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:45:18 am by Brewtweak »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 10:38:28 am »
One very close and one of the oldest in the country about 40 min away. I find both have selections that leave a bit to be desired, but I can order most everything else from MoreBeer.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 11:28:59 am »
I have a place that I order from frequently, online, that has local pickup. They have good selection and prices. Unfortunately, its not a retail shop. Other than that the closest LHBS (The Cellar in Fond du lac) is 45 minutes away. I enjoy going there as the staff is very knowledgable, they have a good selection and prices. There are other places within the 45 to 60 min drive but I don't frequent them.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 12:17:28 pm »
I am also in Southern Indiana, but on the extreme East side of the state ( read less than 2 miles from Ohio state line) and I work out of an office in Cincinnati's west side. I am lucky enough to regularly work in the field at our 7 different self storage facilities and driving around town gives me access to 3 different full service, dedicated LHBS to choose from. In the end, Dan Listermann's Home brew supply and brewery is the closest for me most of the time, the staff are great and very knowledgeable, the inventory is immense, and the brewery's beer is top notch (it has to be the way craft beer is booming here in the Cincinnati area.) I know that at any time, I can likely find almost anything I need just by stopping in. On the rare ocassion that they are out of something, they are fully able to suggest a proper substitution or get it ordered for me for pick up the following week. They do offer email and phone ordering, but I just love to spend some time walking around inside the store checking out the various supplies on hand, so I have not used those options. Honestly, if there were no Listermann Brewing supply store, I would likely not be brewing, and probably would not have even started.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 02:13:57 pm »
I'm in South Jersey outside Philly.
There are 5 within roughly 30 miles of my house.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 03:50:35 pm »
My local guy is less than 4 miles from my house. He is pretty well stocked, a decent brewer and quite knowledgeable with wine and beer. Oh yeah, and man he can drink me under the table!

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
Dedicated home-brew supply store?
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 01:52:05 pm »
I've got Karp's Hardware. They are pretty well stocked.

I'm really impressed by a two year old LHBS called " Homebrew and Handgrenades" ( I've never asked the owner Pete exactly what that means) His shop looks better every time that I go there.
They are both on Long Island, NY about 30-40 minutes away from me,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:18:23 pm by banjo-guy »

Offline Stevie

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2016, 02:11:24 pm »
My guess is it's from the old saying "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades" Maybe it's a comment on the idea that beer is beer, and your first beer is always the best beer you've ever made up to that point.

Offline westcoastbrew

• 1st Kit
    • HomeBrewingDeal.com
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 12:41:47 pm »
There are 2 or 3 in my part of SoCal.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2016, 02:06:13 pm »
There are 2 or 3 in my part of SoCal.
The shop in Costa Mesa is my favorite.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2016, 02:27:53 pm »
Y'all are lucky in this regard, our closest LHBS is 130 miles away, almost two hours driving to get there. The owner is a heck of a nice guy and keeps as much as I imagine he can afford to, but the place is about the size of my living room. FWIW, there was a thread a while back on opening a LHBS, and all the experts were saying you'd need a population base of around 500,000 to succeed, this store is in a town of 50,000 and the doors are still open, don't know if that qualifies as "succeeding".
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2016, 02:55:35 pm »
Population base of 500K seems ridiculous.  We have an urban area of about 200K total and have 2 stores doing really well.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell