Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Don't use Crystal 60??? Something I heard on Brew Strong?  (Read 13332 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Don't use Crystal 60??? Something I heard on Brew Strong?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 05:10:54 pm »
Listening to it makes it seem like it is mostly a character issue. They also say they like the flavor contributions of a C40 and C80 blend compared to just C60.

Interesting. I am not sure I could pick up those subtle differences in a finished beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 07:09:33 pm »
Sierra Nevada has one Crystal malt stocked for production. Can anyone guess the Lovibond?

Answer C-60.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 06:01:00 am »
Sierra Nevada has one Crystal malt stocked for production. Can anyone guess the Lovibond?

Answer C-60.

And their beers must really suffer from oxidation then.  ;)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 09:31:21 am »

Answer C-60.

What would they know about brewing consistently good beer?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 07:33:00 pm »
Total BS IMO.  Use whatever you like, but use it wisely.
Totally agree with Denny (as per usual).
Long ago I learned to take any recommendations like the one the OP encountered with a shrug.  I particularly reject suggestions not to use specific ingredients and if anything, am prompted to go ahead and experiment with those ingredients.

Individual experimentation is the only thing that provides a definitive answer.  Otherwise, you may missing out on an ingredient you really like the contribution of...be it a malt, a hop variety, an adjunct sugar, or other ingredient...and you'd be missing out just because it wasn't to someone else's tastes.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 07:09:29 am »
I am learning more and more that Brewers are Gnostics. There has to be a new hidden nugget of knowledge that no one else has yet to discover in the bazillion years of brew history. There are references to support any claim and where there isn't attack character!  LOL.

FWIW: I am going to use C-60 in my upcoming Modelo-ish Vienna Lager. ...and I am considering it for a planned Brown Ale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 10:10:44 am »
I am learning more and more that Brewers are Gnostics. There has to be a new hidden nugget of knowledge that no one else has yet to discover in the bazillion years of brew history. There are references to support any claim and where there isn't attack character!  LOL.

FWIW: I am going to use C-60 in my upcoming Modelo-ish Vienna Lager. ...and I am considering it for a planned Brown Ale.

Personally, I wouldn't use it for the Vienna, but definitely in the brown!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 11:25:19 am »
I put some in my Rye APA last weekend.  I hope it's not ruined  ::)
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 01:44:27 pm »

+1 -- I really like Munich and Vienna in my Viennas.  Even CaraMunich doesn't taste right in those styles (Marzen, Vienna), at least to my palate.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 03:18:36 pm »

+1 -- I really like Munich and Vienna in my Viennas.  Even CaraMunich doesn't taste right in those styles (Marzen, Vienna), at least to my palate.

Here's where I got the idea:

Grain

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 84.21 %
1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %

The fella I got the recipe from says "This Vienna netted me an honorable mention in the Bjcp sponsored Michigan Renaissance Festival's "Beer Baron's Brew Brawl, 2009."

Offline BrewBama

Don't use Crystal 60??? Something I heard on Brew Strong?
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2016, 03:22:33 pm »
And I've seen this 10 gal recipe:

13 lb. Vienna
5 lb. Munich
3 lb. Pilsner
1 lb. Crystal 60L

Not sure which way I am going yet but it seems C60 is used either way. Either way, I wouldn't use more than about 5%.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 03:36:10 pm by BrewBama »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2016, 03:28:50 pm »
I am not a big fan of using dark crystal or excessive amounts of crystal in my IPA. Sounds like this boils down to personal taste and preference.

I have heard the "crystal/oxidation" but never figured out if it was true or not.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2016, 10:52:29 am »

I don't know if it's the search for some special new nugget as much as it is an unnecessary tribalism where one person's opinion or experience automatically raises to the level of broadly applied truth and then the tribe must march to destroy all dissent. Then there is a foul argument between the old guard and the new in which terrible arguments and ad hominem attacks prevail.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2016, 11:29:21 am »
I don't know if it's the search for some special new nugget as much as it is an unnecessary tribalism where one person's opinion or experience automatically raises to the level of broadly applied truth and then the tribe must march to destroy all dissent. Then there is a foul argument between the old guard and the new in which terrible arguments and ad hominem attacks prevail.

You should have been around 17 years ago when I started trying to convince people that batch sparging was a valid technique!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2016, 12:17:53 pm »

You should have been around 17 years ago when I started trying to convince people that batch sparging was a valid technique!

Denny Conn.... dispelling myths and getting crapped on because of it for 17 years....  :)

I started brewing in a bag before the term "BIAB" was invented as far as I know.  I also crushed all my malts in a blender for at least 4 years.  Fortunately I didn't show these processes to any friends at the time and thus received negligible backlash except from maybe one or two closed-minded numbskulls on the interwebs.  I still today would say that the blender works just fine.  Had I not received a mill as a gift I might still be using it today.  Would work especially well for a 1.7-gallon batch brewer like myself, as opposed to the 3 gallons I was brewing at the time.... might only take ~20 minutes to "crush" the grains instead of ~45 minutes.

??? :o  ;D  8)

Crystal 60 is good stuff, though I prefer Crystal 40.  But...

Peat smoked malt still sucks, unless maybe you only use 0.25-0.5 oz per 5 gallon batch.  Any more than that causes terrible oxidation and astringency and acetaldehyde.

;)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.