Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Don't use Crystal 60??? Something I heard on Brew Strong?  (Read 13305 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Don't use Crystal 60??? Something I heard on Brew Strong?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2016, 01:31:12 pm »
I don't know if it's the search for some special new nugget as much as it is an unnecessary tribalism where one person's opinion or experience automatically raises to the level of broadly applied truth and then the tribe must march to destroy all dissent. Then there is a foul argument between the old guard and the new in which terrible arguments and ad hominem attacks prevail.

You should have been around 17 years ago when I started trying to convince people that batch sparging was a valid technique!

Some of us were! ;)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Don't use Crystal 60??? Something I heard on Brew Strong?
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2016, 01:54:02 pm »
I am learning more and more that Brewers are Gnostics. There has to be a new hidden nugget of knowledge that no one else has yet to discover in the bazillion years of brew history. There are references to support any claim and where there isn't attack character!  LOL.

I don't know if it's the search for some special new nugget as much as it is an unnecessary tribalism where one person's opinion or experience automatically raises to the level of broadly applied truth and then the tribe must march to destroy all dissent. Then there is a foul argument between the old guard and the new in which terrible arguments and ad hominem attacks prevail.

Touché.  LOL. Where do I get my pitch fork? LOL
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 03:34:17 pm by BrewBama »

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2016, 04:47:56 pm »

You should have been around 17 years ago when I started trying to convince people that batch sparging was a valid technique!

Peat smoked malt still sucks, unless maybe you only use 0.25-0.5 oz per 5 gallon batch.  Any more than that causes terrible oxidation and astringency and acetaldehyde.

;)

Ha!  That is great! Don't forget diacetyl too!

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2016, 02:15:41 pm »
I am learning more and more that Brewers are Gnostics. There has to be a new hidden nugget of knowledge that no one else has yet to discover in the bazillion years of brew history. There are references to support any claim and where there isn't attack character!  LOL.

Jamil, the host of Brew Strong, tends to speak in absolutes as if he has the final word on all things home brew.  Kudos to him for having the confidence in his opinions, but I find it off-putting.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2016, 02:29:45 pm »
Jamil, the host of Brew Strong, tends to speak in absolutes as if he has the final word on all things home brew.  Kudos to him for having the confidence in his opinions, but I find it off-putting.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that the more I know about beer, the more I need to know more about beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2016, 02:31:28 pm »

He barely lets anyone else speak, but when he does it's so he can let everyone else express their opinions before his own so that he can trump them at the end and then they all go "ooh ahh, what an enlightened fellow, of course of course, why didn't I think of that".  I used to respect it, but now I just think, ick.  Not to mention that he's flat wrong or making stuff up at least 33% of the time.

Sh**, I just realized that I might resemble these remarks.  Dammit.  :-[
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:33:10 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2016, 04:07:12 pm »
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that the more I know about beer, the more I need to know more about beer.

Exactly! I've learned more in the last 5 or 6 years than I did in the first 15+, easily.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2016, 05:11:44 pm »

A Rob "Jethro Gump" Moline quote.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2016, 06:30:10 pm »

He barely lets anyone else speak, but when he does it's so he can let everyone else express their opinions before his own so that he can trump them at the end and then they all go "ooh ahh, what an enlightened fellow, of course of course, why didn't I think of that".  I used to respect it, but now I just think, ick.  Not to mention that he's flat wrong or making stuff up at least 33% of the time.

Sh**, I just realized that I might resemble these remarks.  Dammit.  :-[
I've learned a lot from his shows, but I can see how the on-air arrogance could be off-putting for some. I've never met him in person so I have no idea what he's like in real life.

I find his shtick funny and tend to take any absolute comments with a grain of salt. I guess I'm also one of those people that tends to think the word "expert" should always be in quotes (except when referring to myself of course).

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2016, 06:57:18 pm »

So glad that someone besides me is old enough to remember!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2016, 05:23:28 pm »

I remember!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2016, 06:02:57 pm »

I remember!
All three of us are within a year of age.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2016, 10:08:14 am »

I remember!

Yep...the old farts of homebrew!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2016, 10:10:42 am »

I remember!

Yep...the old farts of homebrew!

There is the title for your next brew book!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2016, 10:13:30 am »
I'm just glad knowing I'm not the oldest fart here.  8)   Though 50 is sneaking up fairly quickly.
Jon H.