Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smash IPA  (Read 3458 times)

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
Smash IPA
« on: August 05, 2016, 03:16:32 pm »
Deciding on experimenting with 1 gal batches using the SMaSH method, specifically for IPAs.  I'm aiming to fill 6 bombers for this batch and set beersmith to make 2 gal considering wort loss from all the hops.  Let me know what you think...

2 gal batch - to fill 6 bombers/12 pack

5# MO
.75 oz simcoe or magnum FWH 70ibu
3.25 oz simcoe steep 30-60min @170
2.0 oz simcoe DH 4-7 days

WLP001
Distilled water adjusted w/ brunwater. 
PH target 5.2-5.4? Any preference here?

Reason for this: want to know what these hops taste like on their own...and simcoe is in the running to be my next boxer puppies name.  As long as it doesn't turn out to be cat piss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 10:24:55 pm by juggabrew303 »

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Smash IPA
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 03:20:23 pm »
I think this will be a good way to evaluate a hop but not a particular malt. To evaluate a malt I would think you would want something less hoppy with more neutral hops.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 03:47:54 pm »
I shoot for 5.4 pH (measured at room temp) for my hoppy beers.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 03:53:03 pm »
I find SMaSH IPAs to be boring and prefer to use Pale Ales or Blondes to evaluate hops. Good IPAs require hop layering IMO.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 04:17:34 pm »
I find SMaSH IPAs to be boring and prefer to use Pale Ales or Blondes to evaluate hops. Good IPAs require hop layering IMO.

I agree. I think SMaSH beers are better in the APA format, personally, because:  1/ Like Chris said, IPA level hopping can make it tougher to eval the malt than in an APA, and  2/  IPA is all about hops and using different hop combos for complexity, and to get the hop character you like best.
Jon H.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 05:11:28 pm »
I think this will be a good way to evaluate a hop but not a particular malt. To evaluate a malt I would think you would want something less hoppy with more neutral hops.
Yea I'm looking more at the hops

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 05:17:01 pm »

I agree. I think SMaSH beers are better in the APA format, personally, because:  1/ Like Chris said, IPA level hopping can make it tougher to eval the malt than in an APA, and  2/  IPA is all about hops and using different hop combos for complexity, and to get the hop character you like best.
I guess I'm more towards evaluating the hops over the malt.  What would you adjust to make this an APA?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 05:26:59 pm »

I guess I'm more towards evaluating the hops over the malt.  What would you adjust to make this an APA?

I'd adjust OG down to 1.052-1.056, IBU more in the 41- 46 IBU range. Currently, I'm adding all my target IBU @ 60 mins in the form of a Magnum addition, then adding 5 oz of your late hop(s) after cooling to 170F and steeping for 30 mins (assuming 5.5 gallons). I then dry hop 2.5 oz of same late hops, or whatever strikes your fancy. Makes a hoppy, nice APA.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:28:33 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 06:43:17 pm »

I'd adjust OG down to 1.052-1.056, IBU more in the 41- 46 IBU range. Currently, I'm adding all my target IBU @ 60 mins in the form of a Magnum addition, then adding 5 oz of your late hop(s) after cooling to 170F and steeping for 30 mins (assuming 5.5 gallons). I then dry hop 2.5 oz of same late hops, or whatever strikes your fancy. Makes a hoppy, nice APA.
Thanks. So if I was just focusing on the hops, you think the IPA wouldn't be as good as the APA? As far as evaluating flavor and aroma

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 06:51:57 pm »
My favorite SMaSH IPA that I have made was MO and EKG.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 07:02:46 pm »

My bad. I misunderstood what you said about wanting to know how the malt and hops taste on their own.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 07:13:44 pm »

Now that's the good SMaSH IPA IMO.  :)
Jon H.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 07:24:10 pm »

My bad. I misunderstood what you said about wanting to know how the malt and hops taste on their own.
No your good, I did write that in the OP.  I was just making a general statement about learning what one particular ingredient brings to the table.  But I meant to brew this to see what flavors simcoe gives off for myself instead of just reading about it. 

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 09:40:34 am »

Now that's the good SMaSH IPA IMO.  :)

That sounds like a winner to me.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 11:24:16 am »
Are you guys talking a real APA, with real guidelines of IBUs or are you suggesting a Three Floyds Alpha King APA=American IPA.  I think a 35-40IBUs 5.8-6.2% SMaSH APA would not be terrible, but simcoe is a strong hop in my opinion.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)