Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Guru App.  (Read 3839 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Brew Guru App.
« on: September 21, 2016, 01:00:57 pm »
Have you downloaded the AHA's Brew Guru App? Does it run smoothly on your device? Impressions?

I downloaded when it was released. It runs fine on my Droid Turbo, no problems. Others have experienced issues. The map function is slick, oh that will be nice when we travel, as it shows the breweries in the area, and lists the AHA Deals by participating brewery. That should help when the server is not up to spread on the deals. Oh, and you have a digital membership card that gets downloaded with the App, so no more fumbling to find it, or forgetting it.

The functionality looks great. The future savings when we travel are a bonus. I just wish there were more Deal locations in MI, but I can work on a few local places to make them aware. The next time in CO, we can really take advantage.  ;)

If your are an AHA member, get it, as it is for members. If you are not a member, there is a two week free trial. If you like it, you join the AHA and get it.

OK, your turn. What do you think?

Edit. I am on the GC. Have I saved any $ with it? Well no, I was in Germany for three weeks after it was released, and have been not venturing out too much, recharging my batteries!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 01:04:13 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Brew Guru App.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 01:05:12 pm »
I downloaded almost immediately but have not had time to really check it out. I kept seeing posts about the map function, but did not see it immediately. I do now, and it seems very handy. I also like the digital membership card thing, so easy, not really sure where my real card is
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 01:07:23 pm »
It works on my Iphone 4.  I used it in Spokane last week and I liked how you could pull up the brewery and click on directions. On a related note, if you are in Spokane, go to the Iron Goat.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 01:15:37 pm »
I like it a lot. When I first pulled up the map feature, it was out of sync with where I know the locations to be. I uninstalled then reinstalled the app and now it's fine. I really like the map to help me keep up with all the new places when I'm out and about, as well as the discounts per place. Gonna be really handy when I travel/beercation. And the virtual card is nice as well. Kudos AHA !
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 01:16:21 pm »
It works on my Iphone 4.  I used it in Spokane last week and I liked how you could pull up the brewery and click on directions. On a related note, if you are in Spokane, go to the Iron Goat.
Thanks for the tip. I do want to see Grand Coulee Dam someday, and the scablands. Maybe fall 2017 if I do HopSchool again. That would be close.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline wyobrew

• 1st Kit
  • Gillette, Wy
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 10:25:55 am »
It works on my iPhone 6. I used it on recent trip to Seattle and back from Wyoming. Doesn't seem to work in my town though. Old Chicago is a chain that offers 10% off food for members. My local restaurant doesn't show up. On the map or when I search for it. Makes me wonder how comprehensive it is and how many deals/breweries I missed on my road trip.  I'm sure it will only improve as more people use it.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 01:26:29 pm »
It runs on my Droid Turbo fine.  The little bit I've played with it seems like it may be useful when out on the road.

One annoying thing it does is notify me every time I go past Granite City Brewery.  Which is everyday on the way to and from work.  Am I just missing how to turn off notifications or is there no way to do it?

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 01:30:46 pm »
They just modified the notifications for iOS to allow for the option of "while in use"

To be honest, apps that require location services at all times should be taken out into the alley and beaten with a chain.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 07:25:02 pm »
I know that somewhere in the app I was able to pull up a picture of my AHA card.  This is all worth it to me as I constantly forget to bring it to Northern Brewer when I'm there.  However, when I was there on Wednesday I couldn't locate it on the app.  The employee was cool with it saying that if I logged into the app I was probably a member.  Need to figure out where it stores the card image.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 07:36:52 pm »
Menu on bottom left -> little person icon on bottom right -> view membership card button in the middle

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 10:15:41 pm »
My AHA membership has been expired since July (I'm still unemployed).  But I asked for and got a gift card for my birthday yesterday, with which I have now renewed my membership.  The app is still showing it expired, and there does not appear to be a way to update it apart from buying another year. 

Any fix besides waiting?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 10:05:01 am »
My AHA membership has been expired since July (I'm still unemployed).  But I asked for and got a gift card for my birthday yesterday, with which I have now renewed my membership.  The app is still showing it expired, and there does not appear to be a way to update it apart from buying another year. 

Any fix besides waiting?

Steve, contact either Matt or Duncan @brewersassociation.org
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jshell

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 12:39:02 pm »
Does anyone know how the Deals Used function under profile works? Or the started/completed collections? I show 0 deals used, but I have used my AHA deals numerous times this year. Is this a future capability?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 02:02:11 pm »
Does anyone know how the Deals Used function under profile works? Or the started/completed collections? I show 0 deals used, but I have used my AHA deals numerous times this year. Is this a future capability?

I bet it only tracks deals used with the app.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 08:48:37 pm »
I have been using it while traveling for the past week, but it would not download to my old iphone4, only on my newer iPad.  The map function is nice, but getting info about each place is a bit clunky.  I end up clicking on a place, then clicking on their website, then looking for the "back" button, which is not where one would expect.
Still, I like using it.
I just wish I would remember to ask for my AHA discount when I get there.  I got 10% off at Rock Bottom in Milwaukee.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995