Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop School (9/1&2), Who's going and where are you staying?  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Hop School (9/1&2), Who's going and where are you staying?
« on: August 06, 2016, 04:30:46 pm »
I am looking forward to attending Hop School in Yakima on Sept. 1st & 2nd.  It would be great to stay at the same hotel as many of other Forum members and meet you, have a beer and swap stories.  So, what nights and where are you staying?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Hop School (9/1&2), Who's going and where are you staying?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 04:51:44 pm »
You will have a great time. Once it gets going, I didn't have the energy to hang out to the wee hours. Breakfast is early.

The night before I did meet a few people at the Yakima Sports Center, a bar that has 60s decor and many taps of craft beer. Get the Top Cutter from Balebreakers.

Edit - Denny can tell you where he is staying. Not a bad plan to have Denny show you how to do Hop School.
Say hello to everyone for me!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 04:54:20 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 05:28:47 pm »
Enjoy!  I'm very envious.
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 06:32:00 pm »
Please keep me in the loop.  I won't be attending, but would love to meet whoever is going to be there from the forum. 

I personally would recommend the Beer Shoppe, which is just about 4-5 blocks from the Sports Center on the same side of the street.  It has a greater and more interesting variety of beer on tap, as well as bottles.  Also a quieter venue.  But whatever, I'll meet you wherever y'all decide to go.

It gets pretty busy once the Hop School starts, if anyone is in Yakima the night before it would be ideal.  Just a thought!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 08:13:40 pm »
Please keep me in the loop.  I won't be attending, but would love to meet whoever is going to be there from the forum. 

I personally would recommend the Beer Shoppe, which is just about 4-5 blocks from the Sports Center on the same side of the street.  It has a greater and more interesting variety of beer on tap, as well as bottles.  Also a quieter venue.  But whatever, I'll meet you wherever y'all decide to go.

It gets pretty busy once the Hop School starts, if anyone is in Yakima the night before it would be ideal.  Just a thought!
Hi Steve,
Yeh, I'll drive up on the 31st.  Looking forward to meeting you and all the others too.
Phil

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 05:34:53 am »
Steve is local, so take his advice over mine!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 10:06:26 am »
This is my 3rd or 4th year and the second one doing a seminar.  I'll be in on Wed. afternoon.  Staying at the Hilton Garden Inn.  The Red Lion is nice, too.  Watch the weather forecast...if it's gonna be hot, the hop fields will be REALLY hot and you'll want to bring appropriate gear.  We lucked out last year and the weather was gorgeous, but you never know.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 10:07:05 am »

Yeah, but SPORTS CENTER!!!!  What a crazy cool place!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 09:00:36 pm »

Yeah, but SPORTS CENTER!!!!  What a crazy cool place!

True Denny.  If you want an energetic environment and a good beer selection that is the place.  If you want conversation and a better beer selection, the Beer Shoppe is it.  I like 'em both.  Plus if you're hungry the Sports Center has it in spades.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 07:44:24 am by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 10:39:34 am »
True Denny.  If you want an energetic envireonment and a good beer selection that is the place.  If you want conversation and a better beer selection, the Beer Shoppe is it.  I like 'em both.  Plus if you're hungry the Sports Center has it in spades.

I'll definitely check out the Beer Shoppe.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 09:48:37 am »
So, am I the only forum member that is attending this year's Hop School (as a student)?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 10:12:37 am »
So, am I the only forum member that is attending this year's Hop School (as a student)?

Phil, be sure to introduce yourself when we're there!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 11:27:36 am »
Phil, I'll be there. Look forward to meeting you. They usually have a Wednesday night party with the brewers who just finish their sessions and us homebrewers. Lots of beer variety at that event.

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn (even though I only live about 20 miles away) because they not only support this event but our local Mustang club's events.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 11:28:35 am »
Phil, I'll be there. Look forward to meeting you. They usually have a Wednesday night party with the brewers who just finish their sessions and us homebrewers. Lots of beer variety at that event.

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn (even though I only live about 20 miles away) because they not only support this event but our local Mustang club's events.

I don't know if you guys are aware, but they'll run shuttles from the hotels to the Wed. party.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 11:31:26 am »
Yup, I walked it back to the hotel one night, but the shuttles are the way to go.