Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer travel: Frankfort  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Beer travel: Frankfort
« on: August 06, 2016, 07:31:18 pm »
Next month I'm going on a cycling trip in Croatia.  Then on to Santorini, Greece for a few days of chilling.  On the way home, I'm in Frankfort for about 24 hours.  Does anyone have any suggestions for breweries, brewpubs, restaurants, etc. in Frankfort?  My only time spent in Germany was 5 days in Munich in 2013.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Beer travel: Frankfort
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 05:31:50 am »
Frankfurt is not known for beer, it is near wine country, and has cider. The local cider is tart, but goes well with the local food dishes. Sachsenhausen is the area just south of the Main river where you find a large concentration of the Apfelwein bars. There was Zwölf Apostel, but it is not a destination. In Mainz there was Eisgrub, all the beers had an off flavor.

If you have a full day and time is not a problem you could take a train to Bamberg, or up to Köln or Duesseldorf. Those are about 2 hours one way. Those are better beer cities.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 10:03:19 am »
Other options.

Faust brewing in Miltenberg, not far by distance, but not well connected.

Wiesbaden and Mainz are not far, and have pubs that are owned/run by some of the big Munich area breweries. In Wiesbaden there are pubs by Andechs, Paulaner, and Augustiner. That may interest you.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 11:32:15 am »
Thanks Jeff.  The Apfelwein is not a deal-breaker but of course I would like to have some good German beer.  If we hung out in Frankfort because of the time crunch, would we at least be able to have some decent German beer options at some of the local places?  Weisbaden sounds like a good option if there are pubs with Paulaner or Augustiner.  When we went to Munich in 2013, the Augustiner Dunkel may have been my favorite beer of the trip which also included Vienna, Brataslava and Prague.  Cheers and thanks again.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 11:42:01 am »
A little Googling pointed me to a place in Frankfurt called Naiv on Fahrgasse.  It's supposed to have a decent selection of bottled German beer as well as a few taps featuring German craft beers.  It's also supposed to have good food and a nice outdoor biergarten as well.  Sounds encouraging.  Many other things I read mentioned that Frankfurt is a beer-desert since it's in wine country.  Let's make the best of it, shall we?  :D
Ken from Chicago.