Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cider from store bought juice  (Read 11584 times)

Offline secretsquirrel

• 1st Kit
Cider from store bought juice
« on: July 04, 2010, 10:54:20 am »
I was talking to one of the guys who works at my local brew supply store about making a hard cider.  He claimed that it was as simple as buying 5 gallons of preservative free juice, throwing in some brewers yeast and voila- hard cider (after fermentation, of course). So, I have now on hand 5 gallons of preservative free juice via Costco; champaign yeast and lots of left over honey from another project.  Questions for the group:
1. Is it that easy to make a tasty, sweet cider using his method?
2. anyone have a recipe if not?
3.  Has anyone incorporated honey into a cider recipe in lieu of any other sugars (this is an orange blossom honey).

Thanks!
Secretsquirrel

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Cider from store bought juice
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 12:21:50 pm »
The champagne yeast will make it really dry; I would think you're gonna end up backsweetening. I've used the Costco stuff, it's good juice, decent cider, I drop in 1 can of frozen juice concentrate just before serving (keg)  and all the chicks dig it. I've never used good honey; just the Costco stuff. I would do a secondary with the honey, someone will be along shortly to tell you otherwise.  ;)
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 12:23:10 pm »
I've made many many gallons of Cider- all from store-bought juice. Mostly cold-processed Apple Cider in gallon jugs from Walmart but frozen concentrate has been used as well.

Each renders a different type of cider. The FC ends up much drier with a slight bit of sweetness. The CP based cider was a little tart and I ended up "back-sweetening" with a couple cans of FC per keg. This balanced it out and everyone's commented how good it is.

Otherwise in my experience Cider ferments out almost completely leaving very little sweetness. Stunning the yeast before it does so is a technique to retain sweetness.

I've found keeping the gravity at 1.050 will give a nice strength without alcohol heat. The CP cider just gets poured into the fermenters and yeast is pitched. The FC gets boiled to sterilize and then diluted to desired gravity. I think the concentrating process makes it a little sweeter.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 04:24:06 pm »
Homebrewtalk.com

Search Apfelwine
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 05:13:34 pm »
Homebrewtalk.com

Search Apfelwine

Also search OWWW my f##king head hurts I wish I was DEAD! I think they both lead you to the same recipe.  ;D
Granted I've never aged it beyond three months - but anyone drinking this heavily is usually sorry the next day.

Quote:
GENERAL WARNINGS

Excessive consumption of Apfelwein WILL get you drunk at warp speed.

Drink a quart of water and take 3 aspirin before going to sleep tol help reduce the effects of excessive Apfelwein consumption as well as the urge to call EdWort a M'F**kR the next morning!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 05:23:20 pm by beerocd »
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 05:06:53 am »
Homebrewtalk.com

Search Apfelwine
If you are looking to make  "tasty sweet cider" that ain't it
Dan S. from NJ

Offline secretsquirrel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 09:56:32 pm »
Guys,
I made the cider. It has been sitting in the primary fermenter for a couple of weeks now (BTW, I added about 2 C of orange blossom honey). It fermented on day 1 and finally stopped about a week ago. I opened the spigot and tried a small sample; it was harsh, I won't lie to you. I used a champaigne yeast; so it really reminded me of a dry wine.  Also had subtle acetone flavors. Any ideas on how to salvage this- or does it just need to sit for a really long time? How about sweetening it? It won't be kegged- I'm not to that level yet!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 05:40:18 am »
You can stabalize it with Potassium Sorbate and Campden tablets.  Then back sweeten to 1.006-8 with the sugar of your choice.

You can find more on this at gotmead.com or wine forums.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline secretsquirrel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 08:36:19 pm »
but if i stabilize it and back sweeten it, i won't be able to bottle it with carbonation, right?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 09:37:08 pm »
It would probably carbonate over time. Maybe. Time to transition to kegs so you can force-carb...

Not realistic huh?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline pschreck

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 06:56:55 am »
I've made many many gallons of Cider- all from store-bought juice. Mostly cold-processed Apple Cider in gallon jugs from Walmart but frozen concentrate has been used as well.

Each renders a different type of cider. The FC ends up much drier with a slight bit of sweetness. The CP based cider was a little tart and I ended up "back-sweetening" with a couple cans of FC per keg. This balanced it out and everyone's commented how good it is.

Otherwise in my experience Cider ferments out almost completely leaving very little sweetness. Stunning the yeast before it does so is a technique to retain sweetness.

I've found keeping the gravity at 1.050 will give a nice strength without alcohol heat. The CP cider just gets poured into the fermenters and yeast is pitched. The FC gets boiled to sterilize and then diluted to desired gravity. I think the concentrating process makes it a little sweeter.

What type of yeast are you using? Thanks.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 08:23:18 am »
but if i stabilize it and back sweeten it, i won't be able to bottle it with carbonation, right?

That is correct, unless some yeast can manage to remaing active.  I looked, and you didn't say that you wanted it sweet and carbonated.

Backsweetening, kegging the cider, and force carbonating would be my choice at this point.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 07:57:11 pm »
i used the "edwort apfelwein" recipe from homebrewtalk.

five gallons of aj like you have
2 lbs of dextrose
1 package of red star montrachet yeast

wait as long as you can.

i have one that i'm bringing to emerald coast beer fest that i made about 11 months ago.  i brought five gallons of it last year and it was the first thing that floated.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 07:55:53 pm »
Nothing wrong with bottling and carbing it dry and sweetening it in the glass with a little more AJ or honey or sugar.  My last, and best, cider was with no added sugar (an important factor, as all my previous stronger ciders or cysers had much less balanced flavor), was not backsweetened, but was very pleasant after being kegged, as is, after 3 months of bulk aging.

Since you strengthened yours, in my experience it will take some more time.  Or you can just bottle it somewhat harsh and mix it with things that would sweeten it to taste.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 06:27:06 am »
If you've got a problem with harshness, my advice would be to let it age and mellow. If necessary backsweeten or blend later.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/