Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ya gotta have choices....  (Read 2545 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Ya gotta have choices....
« on: August 07, 2016, 03:27:55 pm »
48 qt. cooler mash tun, Pico and Zymatic from Picobrew, and The Grainfather.....70 and 152 qt. cooler mash tuns not pictured.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Ya gotta have choices....
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 03:31:02 pm »
Aren't you the one who coined the phrase, "It's about the beer, not the gear"?  :D  Cheers my friend.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 03:39:23 pm »
Aren't you the one who coined the phrase, "It's about the beer, not the gear"?  :D  Cheers my friend.

Indeed.  But when people send me stuff to test, what am I gonna do?  ;)  FWIW, I brewed a batch on the Pico one day last week, and the next day did a batch with the cooler.  Gotta maintain perspective!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 03:40:39 pm »
I was thinking about a grandfather for indoor winter brewing.  The price is right, but it has to be kitchen friendly.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 03:40:48 pm »
Any thoughts or preferences on the automated ones, Denny?
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 04:33:51 pm »
I was thinking about a grandfather for indoor winter brewing.  The price is right, but it has to be kitchen friendly.

We'll see.  Based on comments by a friend who uses one, I'm not sure it is.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 04:38:04 pm »
Any thoughts or preferences on the automated ones, Denny?

The Grainfather isn't really automated....it's just a different kind of Herms.  Between the Zymatic and the Pico, it kinda depends on what you're looking for.  The Zymatic is closer to what we think of as "brewing" since you have to make a recipe, program the machine, etc.  The Pico can best be thought of as a "beer making machine".  The brewer's skill comes in the fermentation, not the actual brewing.  That said, I'm finding I like the Pico a LOT and the kits I've brewed so far look and smell like they'll make some delicious beer. I also kinda like all the "extras" with the Pico, like minikegs and a really cool CO2 regulator.  Within the next few days I hope to have the first Pico batch kegged and ready to drink.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 05:21:02 am »
One of the guy's in our club has one and says it is kitchen ready.  He only added a bucket water heater (plugged into a separate circuit) to help heat water faster.

-Tony

-Tony

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 05:57:27 am »

We'll see.  Based on comments by a friend who uses one, I'm not sure it is.

I use one, and brew in my kitchen.  What are the concerns about using it in the kitchen?
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 07:16:05 am »
One of the guy's in our club has one and says it is kitchen ready.  He only added a bucket water heater (plugged into a separate circuit) to help heat water faster.

-Tony

Sadly, I've only one grandfather left and he wouldn't do some well brewing in the kitchen... He's basically paraplegic from lifelong back issues and 3 back surgeries.
Jesse

narvin

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 08:21:05 am »

-Tony

Sadly, I've only one grandfather left and he wouldn't do some well brewing in the kitchen... He's basically paraplegic from lifelong back issues and 3 back surgeries.

Hahaha.  Yeah I should probably look at someone younger and stronger, maybe a migrant worker.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 01:19:46 pm »
No automation, but otherwise right there with you Denny. Started with a 50 qt, added a 70 qt extreme, and just yesterday finished conversion of my 2 new 5 gallon beverage coolers for the 3.5 gallon batches I have been playing with this year. I brew 12-15 days per year, and can now do about any size batch i want to, up to 10 gallons medium gravity. Way too much gear for my brewing frequency, but the different size options make it ideal
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 01:39:31 pm »
Choices, Choices, Choices....

This is kinda like the age old argument in the BBQ circles concerning stick burners vs charcoal vs elec vs propane cookers.  ...auto temp control or manual.  ...briquettes vs lump charcoal. etc,etc...  I guess they all produce good BBQ but people can really get crazy over what is "real" and what isn't.  I say what ever makes the user happiest.  Cheers!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 06:35:05 pm »

-Tony

Hahaha.  Yeah I should probably look at someone younger and stronger, maybe a migrant worker.
That's a start. You could clone yourself, like in the movie Multiplicity. Have your clone do all the brewing. You'd never run out of beer. Just don't make a copy from a copy...
Jesse

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 07:49:09 am »
I started with a Mr. Beer fermenter and can of extract a friend gave me, moved up to 5-gal all-grain batches, and now am planning on doing 2.5 gal all-grain batches so I can try more recipes.

Since my consumption (4 to 5 bottles per week) is limited by weight and medication issues, it takes too long to drink a 5-gal batch even though  I usually give  a few bottles away to friends.

I'm finding recipes in beer mags or on-line that I'd like to brew faster than I can drink the results.

Cheers
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!