Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Free Wort....  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
  • Still a NEWB, but learning and getting better.....
Free Wort....
« on: July 23, 2016, 10:37:46 am »
Just picked up 5.5 gal of free wort from Raleigh Brewing Company.  They said it was Pale 2-Row, and Carmel 20, and 25-30 IBU, hopped with Williamette.  OG measures 1.046.  Since my chest freezer currently has an IPA in it (being bottled tomorrow), and will have tomorrows Lager going in it, for the freebie, I pitched a pack of T-58, and put it in a room that stays about 70F-72F.  I plan to dry hop with 1oz of Saphir.

I know it's going to ferment on the warm side, so I am thinking that if it actually turns out, it may be some kind of Belgian Pale, saison-ish thing or another.  If it doesn't turn out, I am only out about $7 for the yeast and hops. 

Any guesses as to what this may actually turn out tasting like?  I won't be able to cold crash this one either, so I plan to just leave it in the primary for at least 3 weeks to let the yeast drop out as much as it can.  As a guess, it may come out around 4.8% ABV based on just the yeast and OG (no idea what their mash temp or actual grain percentages were).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 10:39:18 am by Erik_Mog »
Bottled/Drinking:  Born Again Heathenweizen, Mongrel Belgian
Fermenting:  None
Future:  Undecided...too many to choose from

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.
"Beer....Because people suck."

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Free Wort....
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 04:05:18 pm »
Sounds like a nice summer time belgian single to me.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 08:00:50 pm »
Agree- It will be a nice Belgian Single / Pale ale-ish type of beer.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 09:48:22 pm »
It does kind of fit the Belgian Pale Ale profile in BeerSmith...kind of.  Who knows, it may be a Belgian style beer I actually like.

It does look like I chose the right room in the house to ferment it in.  I checked the thermometer on the bucket, and it is showing 75F.  It's a little higher than the optimal temp for the T-58, but not as warm as I was thinking it may get.

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.

Offline Docniel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 05:54:03 am »
Due to the O.G., I would say Belgian single. I just bottled one a few weeks ago. Just straight, no orange or coriander. Veery refreshing.

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 07:14:48 am »
I just pulled a sample of this.  Visible signs of fermentation stopped after 3 days, and has been in the fermenter for 7 days now.  SG is at 1.012 for 5.0% ABV.  It has a good pale color, and is fairly clear at this point.  Aroma wise, it smells like beer, with nothing really notable about it...just smells like beer.  The flavor is pretty much the same.  The bitterness is well balanced, and it has no real sweetness to it, nor is it overly dry either.  I kind of pick up on just a very slight hint of spiciness, and no off flavors at all that I can detect, even though during the most active fermentation, it did get to 80F.  I am guessing that when I dry hop with the Saphir in a few days, it will add a bit more flavor an aroma to liven things up a bit.  At this point, it just seems to be a decent, well rounded, easy drinking beer.  At $7 for the yeast and hops, I think it was a good deal for a 5 gal batch.  Planning to let it sit a few more days, then dry hop, and bottle next weekend.  Once it's carbed and ready to drink, I will update with the final result.

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 09:54:56 am »
I like saphir. One of the first beers I plan to brew after summer is over is an amber that uses simcoe, summit, and saphir.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 10:10:02 am »
I like saphir. One of the first beers I plan to brew after summer is over is an amber that uses simcoe, summit, and saphir.

I have never used them.  I chose them for this based on the description that they add spiciness, and I'm hoping that they will go well with what ever the T-58 brings to the table.

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 10:41:46 am »
I chose them for this based on the description that they add spiciness

The Saphir I've used were more floral with citrus notes. It'll be good regardless.
Jon H.

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 08:45:33 pm »
Results are in on this one.  It has some citrus in the aroma and taste, mixed with a bit of spice.  There is nothing that I can really place as an off flavor, which I was worried about since I used no temperature control on this one.  It is a fairly clear golden color, with a little haze.  Over all, it is not a remarkable beer, but it's not a bad beer either.  It's just a decent, drinkable beer.  I'm not a huge fan of Belgian styles, so this will never be my favorite, but it is something I will be able to drink.  And for the price, it's pretty good. 

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.