Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Considering some literature about  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Sean Lawson

• 1st Kit
Considering some literature about
« on: August 17, 2016, 06:49:26 pm »
Ive always been interested in home brewing and this is the fist time that I get truly involved. I get a little kit that comes with the basic, and it seems I did something wrong but I had lost of fun making it.

I dont know much about the equipment or the steps, just the things I found on Internet. There is a small business close to me that sells the equipment and all the malts and hops but feel a little intimidated in asking what is needed. I do know my beer though and would like to brew an IPA maybe with 100ibu's with only a few styles of hops, as I was reading.

Can anyone recommend some good literature on start up brewing at home?

A friend recommend me this one, but just want a different advice. Thanks everyone...

Offline blorvak

• Cellarman
Re: Considering some literature about
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 07:09:25 pm »
I got started with Palmer's excellent: http://howtobrew.com/

There's a new revision in print, but all of the basics are covered on the web, if you are so inclined.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 07:11:54 pm »
A lot of people start with The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. I had a much older version but it was good.

How to Brew by John Palmer is very good.

For recipes I like to post here for advice and I like the AHA website. AHA has award winning recipes from the National Homebrew Contest for many years back.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 09:42:54 pm »
A lot of people start with The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. I had a much older version but it was good.

How to Brew by John Palmer is very good.

For recipes I like to post here for advice and I like the AHA website. AHA has award winning recipes from the National Homebrew Contest for many years back.

+1

These are the resources that I used. The first 40 pages of Papazian's The Joy of Homebrewing will get you started, and Palmer can take it from there. There are many resources out there if you think that you like brewing, get reading; It isn't a secret. All the information is there if you are interested in learning.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 06:12:54 am »
You have the starting out books recommended.
"Brewing Classic Styles" is a good book for recipes.
If you want a different take on things, "Brewing Better Beer" and "Modern Homebrew Recipes" by Gordon Strong are good.

One can keep reading as one enjoys the hobby. I am working through "The Chemistry of Beer" by Barth, and that one explains the chemistry behind all the brewing, so it is more advanced.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 10:13:47 am »
Palmer was my first, and it really made it easy to start out in the hobby. The others mentioned are all recognized as good(though I have not read Complete Joys of Homebrewing) From your other post, it seems like you started without reading and relied on the store to help. Palmer is set up as a best to read before starting, so you can understand what you are doing and why. That formula has worked well for many. I also love being on this forum, my brewing has evolved so much in the last 2.5 years from the advice I have received here. As for recipe formulation, I can follow a great recipe well, but really dont have the creativity to do well formulating my own. When I have thoughts or ideas on new recipes, I also post them here for feedback. I have almost always liked the resulting brews, especially after taking the advice and making suggested tweaks. Cant really go wrong with a good beginner book and the help here. keep asking questions
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Sean Lawson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 10:26:22 am »
Guuuys thanks a lot, Im having so much fun on this activity, Im so exited to know more and can impressed some ladiesĀ“some day :) I will start with the one John Palmer, and hope I can get all the others too.

Thanks franx, I will keep checking and reading the topics, all seem to have a lot of experience!