Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Would like Feedback on a Lager Recipe  (Read 2193 times)

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
Would like Feedback on a Lager Recipe
« on: August 15, 2016, 10:17:07 am »
 Howdy all! Long time no see! Basement Man Cave Construction has kept me away too long.  The basement project also drug my brewing schedule into an ally and beat it up. :'( This year's Oktoberfest never got done.  Oh well, there's always next year!  8)

Anyway, to replace it, I cobbled together a recipe from some fixings I had on hand (mostly from the Oktoberfest that wasn't).  It isn't really to any particular style - just going for flavorful, easy drinker.  I'm going for something that is fairly malt forward with a decent hop presence. Thoughts?

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 84.7 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
4 lbs 8.0 oz          Bohemian Pilsner (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM)   Grain         1        46.2 %       
4 lbs                 Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                    Grain         2        41.0 %       
1 lbs                 Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM)   Grain         3        10.3 %       
4.0 oz                Munich Malt, Dark (16.0 SRM)             Grain         4        2.6 %         
0.60 oz               German Tradition [5.30 %] - First Wort 9 Hop           5        13.3 IBUs     
1.10 oz               Hallertauer [3.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min     Hop           6        12.1 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Hallertauer [3.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool   Hop           7        0.0 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               German Bock Lager (White Labs #WLP833) [ Yeast         8        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                               Step Temperature   Step Time     
Mash In           Add 15.16 qt of water at 162.3 F        150.0 F             75 min       
Mash Out          Add 7.36 qt of water at 211.5 F         168.0 F             10 min       

Sparge: Fly sparge with 2.99 gal water at 168.0 F

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Would like Feedback on a Lager Recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 10:29:45 am »
I would ditch the Crystal 20, or limit to 4 oz.  Other than that, looks great.  I've been wanting to try that WLP833, should be yummy.

You might be able to chop the mash time down to 50-60 minutes if you want to save a few minutes with no discernible effects on flavor or attenuation.  Boil time also can safely be cut back to 60 minutes or even less.  Totally up to you though of course.

You can also still get this done in time for Oktoberfest if you want to.  I just brewed mine 15 days ago and bottled it yesterday (actually two batches) and they taste great.  Gelatin and cold temperatures can be used to knock the yeast out quicker at the end of fermentation.  Just be sure to pitch a big healthy starter.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 10:53:55 am »
I would ditch the Crystal 20, or limit to 4 oz.
You jumped right at my big hangup.  Not sure where that idea got in my head from.  Looking for a light sweetness, but at 10%, that is definitely pushing my limits of light crystal. Was thinking maybe the hops might balance it out, but I agree, it might be a lot.  Maybe cut that. I also had some CaraVienne on hand that I thought about using.

I've been wanting to try that WLP833, should be yummy.
See, I'm the opposite.  I use 833 all the time.  It's pretty much my go to lager yeast - especially for O'Fest, Munich Helles, Bock, and German Pils.  Thinking I need to branch out more!  ::)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 11:18:49 am »
I haven't been super impressed with WLP830, that's the one I'm using right now and have in the past.... it's alright but not my favorite.  I really LOVE Wyeast 2206.  However, be warned: Its supposed "equivalent" WLP820 is TOTALLY different.  WLP820 is crap, 2206 is excellent.

I still want to try WLP833 though, my friend swears by it and his lagers are sublime.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 11:27:51 am »
I haven't been super impressed with WLP830, that's the one I'm using right now and have in the past.... it's alright but not my favorite.  I really LOVE Wyeast 2206.  However, be warned: Its supposed "equivalent" WLP820 is TOTALLY different.  WLP820 is crap, 2206 is excellent.

I still want to try WLP833 though, my friend swears by it and his lagers are sublime.

Big fan of 2206 myself, Dave. Just did an Ofest with it. Nice stuff.
Jon H.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 10:07:11 pm »
833 is my go-to also. Definitely more malt forward in my experience, but I like brewing Marzens and Bocks so this works.

I agree on nixing the crystal. My Marzen recipe is similar to what you've done, but split between Pils, Munich and Vienna and then a pound of CaraMunich III. I feel the CaraMunich can lend a "roundness" to these malty styles that doesn't come off "caramelly sweet" like the crystal does. If you're trying to work with what you already have on hand, I think totally dropping the crystal or severely cutting it back (to give just a hint) would be OK too. Plenty of Munich there to keep it interesting.

Happy brewing!

Offline PAYCHECK

• Cellarman
    • Split Hops Brewing
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 04:21:33 pm »
Howdy all! Long time no see! Basement Man Cave Construction has kept me away too long.  The basement project also drug my brewing schedule into an ally and beat it up. :'( This year's Oktoberfest never got done.  Oh well, there's always next year!  8)

Anyway, to replace it, I cobbled together a recipe from some fixings I had on hand (mostly from the Oktoberfest that wasn't).  It isn't really to any particular style - just going for flavorful, easy drinker.  I'm going for something that is fairly malt forward with a decent hop presence. Thoughts?

Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 84.7 %

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
4 lbs 8.0 oz          Bohemian Pilsner (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM)   Grain         1        46.2 %       
4 lbs                 Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                    Grain         2        41.0 %       
1 lbs                 Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM)   Grain         3        10.3 %       
4.0 oz                Munich Malt, Dark (16.0 SRM)             Grain         4        2.6 %         
0.60 oz               German Tradition [5.30 %] - First Wort 9 Hop           5        13.3 IBUs     
1.10 oz               Hallertauer [3.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min     Hop           6        12.1 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Hallertauer [3.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool   Hop           7        0.0 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               German Bock Lager (White Labs #WLP833) [ Yeast         8        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                               Step Temperature   Step Time     
Mash In           Add 15.16 qt of water at 162.3 F        150.0 F             75 min       
Mash Out          Add 7.36 qt of water at 211.5 F         168.0 F             10 min       

Sparge: Fly sparge with 2.99 gal water at 168.0 F
I would do a double decoction and most certainly decrease the caramel 20, at least this way you can retain the color of the traditional beer but get all that flavor you want.
Brewing is all I ever think about!

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 04:35:14 pm »
Thanks for the input all.  Turns out - I din't have crystal 20 anyway.  I futzed around with my malt bill using what I have.  Through all my messing around, I actually knocked it into a Vienna Lager style space, but it's not a show pony.  Think I'll call this one "Iron Brewer!"

Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 9.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.1 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
4 lbs                 Bohemian Pilsner (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM)   Grain         1        40.0 %       
4 lbs                 Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                    Grain         2        40.0 %       
1 lbs                 Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM)   Grain         3        10.0 %       
12.0 oz               Caramunich I (34.0 SRM)                  Grain         4        7.5 %         
4.0 oz                Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM)               Grain         5        2.5 %         
0.60 oz               German Tradition [5.30 %] - First Wort 9 Hop           6        13.2 IBUs     
1.10 oz               Hallertauer [3.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min     Hop           7        12.0 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Hallertauer [3.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool   Hop           8        0.0 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               German Bock Lager (White Labs #WLP833) [ Yeast         9        -             
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 04:40:10 pm by lazydog79 »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 05:11:23 pm »
833 is my malty lager yeast of choice. Should be a good drinking beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 05:34:28 pm »
For yeast, I have enjoyed 2308 for some malty lagers.  It was a bit finicky though.  I have been using 2124 lately, but I would probably go with 2308 for a Oktoberfest if I was making one.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 05:40:50 pm »
My best O-fests (or other malty lagers) have been made with 833 or 2206. 2308 is nice, too.
Jon H.