Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 6 Common Homebrew Myths  (Read 7176 times)

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
Re: 6 Common Homebrew Myths
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2016, 12:00:08 pm »
With the other logical possibility with the HSA exbeeriment being that both beers were oxidized.
Ha!  Wouldn't that be the kicker.
That's worth considering. Marshall did the HSA Part I XBMT in November 2014, only a couple of months after publishing this about his kegging procedure:

http://brulosophy.com/2014/08/20/from-carboy-to-cup-my-kegging-method/

Perhaps you’re wondering…
Why don’t you purge your keg with CO2  before filling it with beer?
Truth is, when I started kegging I never considered this option, since my routine has worked fine for me for so long, I see no reason to do anything differently, especially if it adds a step. I’ve made some beer people don’t like, but I’ve never received a comment about oxidized flavors, even in beers that remained in the keg for 10+ weeks.

Assuming the same process was followed in the XBMT, Marshall does appear to inject some CO2 to flush sanitizer through the diptube, but at this point the keg contains an air/CO2 mix -- then he pops the top and fills via a racking cane.

Juxtapose this with the info in this year's NHC presentation where using CO2 to push sanitizer out of a sealed keg and then doing a closed transfer was the only moderately effective way to minimize oxygen pickup at kegging.

Between those two things, I'm willing to postulate that for beers that hang around for only a few months, this same level of oxygen pickup occurring with the packaging methodology would likely overwhelm any HSA-type impacts from oxygen. Based on my own experience, I would say that things like age and recipe likely also factor into how quickly this becomes noticeable (and to what extent).

narvin

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2016, 04:34:08 pm »
Here's a myth that I thought was thoroughly debunked, but the recent prices I've paid for beer make me reconsider.

Homebrewing saves you money!

Thinking about the money I invested in homebrewing equipment over the years, it's not that extravagant.  On the other hand, a trip to the beer store and I can be out $200 for beer that lasts a month or two.  Sixers are expensive, four packs even more so, and 750s of anything interesting astronomical.  On the other hand, I can make Geueze that takes some time but the raw ingredients (base malt, raw wheat, old hops) are cheap as hell.  And, if you buy a "real" homebrewing system, the resale market is pretty good if you give it up.

Time to reconsider?    8)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2016, 05:05:09 pm »
Yep, it's time. Even mediocre (or worse) beer is expensive nowadays. Like you said, 4 packs, 750s, sours even more so. My equipment, all in all, isn't extravagant. I cooler mash, but have some toys. But, at some point, you've bought back your equipment by buying much less commercial beer. I think the only argument that levels the playing field is the "your time is money" argument. Except, I'd be doing SOMETHING regardless with my time. Like more expensive hobbies, extra sporting events, concerts, etc. If you're a newb, yeah it'll take some time to recover your equipment costs. But buy grain and hops in bulk, get fairly efficient at what you're doing and it's a no brainer to me. If not, I love it and will keep doing it anyway. 
Jon H.