Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest  (Read 6945 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2016, 07:05:34 am »
Drinking this now. Can't say I have ever had a festbier before. To me, this tastes like a slightly maltier pils with a strange tangy thing going on. I am literally picking up the tiniest amount of malt aroma and nothing else. I probably don't fully understand the style.

There were so many good looking 'oktoberfest/marzens' that I wasn't sure what to choose. A little disappointed in my selection. Wish I would have chosen the Odell or Prost offerings...
Festbiers are stong Helles, not quit Bocks. Malty from Pils and a portion of Munich malt. The Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest uses the Record hop that is said to be spicy. I am giving up on finding it on draft locally, may get bottles soon.

Come down to my house Jeff - my friend got me a keg and a sankey to homebrew fittings adapter as a housewarming gift.  Tapping it later today

Whoa, nice!
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 07:09:48 am »
Drinking this now. Can't say I have ever had a festbier before. To me, this tastes like a slightly maltier pils with a strange tangy thing going on. I am literally picking up the tiniest amount of malt aroma and nothing else. I probably don't fully understand the style.

There were so many good looking 'oktoberfest/marzens' that I wasn't sure what to choose. A little disappointed in my selection. Wish I would have chosen the Odell or Prost offerings...
Festbiers are stong Helles, not quit Bocks. Malty from Pils and a portion of Munich malt. The Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest uses the Record hop that is said to be spicy. I am giving up on finding it on draft locally, may get bottles soon.

Come down to my house Jeff - my friend got me a keg and a sankey to homebrew fittings adapter as a housewarming gift.  Tapping it later today
I will have to pass for the near future. The wife's uncle does live in Gainsville, and we have been talking about another trip to go see him. Maybe someday?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 07:34:37 am »
I bought a six pack. Drank it. Liked it.  :)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 08:10:27 pm »
I've been to many fests while stationed in Germany '87-'90 to include Oktoberfest. I don't know if the beer they serve there is to the definition in 4b or 6a or not, but I can say that the beer served at fests is not 'hot', 'tangy' or 'spicy'.

That's not to say that this beer is not a good beer.  Many Brewers interpret their offering as a riff on a style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 08:16:53 pm by BrewBama »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 07:38:26 am »
I found it to be smooth like a lager should be with a spicy hop note. Reminded me of a Helles. I still have one left I will give it a thorough sampling this afternoon.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 07:39:36 am »
Yeah I agree Keith - a more easy drinking fest for sure.  I really don't detect hotness.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 05:30:31 pm »
I am going to buy another 6-pack, maybe I just got a used and abused pack.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 06:33:33 pm »
The Mrs. Brought home a 6 pack the other night, and it disappeared. A Wießen style for sure, the Record hops are spicy, that came out as a sensation on the top of the tongue and roof of the mouth, like some spices or Chilis. They would call it würzig in Franconia. There was a firm bitterness, at the top of the style, but it left you wanting more. It didn't have that burn on the back of the tongue and in the throat like a hot beer.

Edit - there is usually a little more hop character in a Franconian beer, versus a Munich beer of the same style. Mahr's is in Bamberg, so yes, it has some hop character.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:05:30 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 09:23:09 pm »
Finishing my six pack now. It has grown on me. The spicy hop note is misleading and comes off almost chili like as stated before. I didn't understand what this was supposed to be. I now think it is pretty good just nothing like what most would expect. To my novice palate it is basically a very spicy Pilsner with a bit more malt character. As noted, kind of like a strong Helles with more pronounce hop character.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 06:06:06 am »
Finishing my six pack now. It has grown on me. The spicy hop note is misleading and comes off almost chili like as stated before. I didn't understand what this was supposed to be. I now think it is pretty good just nothing like what most would expect. To my novice palate it is basically a very spicy Pilsner with a bit more malt character. As noted, kind of like a strong Helles with more pronounce hop character.
The BJCP 2015 guidelines explain the Festbier style well 4b. Between a Helles and Maibock is where I would put it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 08:17:32 am »
The BJCP 2015 guidelines explain the Festbier style well 4b. Between a Helles and Maibock is where I would put it.

I must have misinterpreted the guidelines. I literally thought it was supposed to be a less malty marzen. This tastes a lot more similar to a pilsner to me. Again, I understand that there must be disconnect between my palate and what I think a festbier is let alone Sierra Nevada's interpretation of one. A good beer regardless...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 10:24:16 am »
This thread inspired me to pick some up.  It's tasty.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2016, 11:16:19 am »
The reviews on here inspired me to jump straight to a 12 pack.

Really tasty beer. I've no idea how well it holds up to style, nor do I care honestly. It's a great lager, dry, crisp, and refreshing. The bitterness lingers in a way that entices you to take another sip, and pairs beautifully with today's hot and humid weather.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 06:53:41 pm »
Just picked up this years. More hop forward than some may care for but I think it's a very enjoyable beer. Beats the heck out Sam Adams ( and some others) o'fest IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 07:15:24 pm by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2016, 06:29:02 am »
Okay so picked up another 6er and took a crack at it last night.  Not a single bit of the heat like before.  Odd right?  Or atleast I thought so.  I have no idea what would have caused that, but I will say I enjoyed this a lot.  It was spicy, smooth and delicious.  At any rate, I hope anyone else that tries this beer chimes in on what they think.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)