Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest  (Read 6993 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2016, 04:59:11 pm »
Just picked up a 12 pack of this the other day. Bottled 7/6/16, so it is just shy of 2 mos old.

I think it is an excellent beer. Definitely not an oktoberfest or marzen. Most definitely a damn good version of a german Festbier. I put 3 down right in a row. Delicious!

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2016, 05:30:59 pm »
I put 3 down right in a row. Delicious!

It's a really dangerous beer in that regard, drinks like it's way less strong than 6%.

I've been avoiding drinking any more of that 12-pack...trying to save it for the weekend in case I can't find more...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 10:56:01 am »
Hopefully they will put out another fresher round if the first one goes over well.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 12:44:57 pm »
Hopefully they will put out another fresher round if the first one goes over well.

I hear they have been having distribution issues since adding the east coast location as far as getting fresh beer on shelves which is more applicable to the hoppy stuff I suppose. I would think that the second location would help with that...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2016, 02:14:04 pm »

I hear they have been having distribution issues since adding the east coast location as far as getting fresh beer on shelves which is more applicable to the hoppy stuff I suppose. I would think that the second location would help with that...
They brew a lot of the lagers at the Mills River facility. They have some 1600 bbl fermenters that they fill and let lager.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2016, 02:20:24 pm »

I'd call BS on that.  I regularly get SN products within 2 weeks of bottling. 

Distribution issues may be more linked to the distributor than the brewery.  More like poor inventory management on their part.

To brewinhard - the keg I got was packaged a couple weeks after the bottles I bought so there's definitely been a few batches out.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2016, 03:49:00 pm »
Sorry. Just what I have heard. Distributor problems I suppose. I will shut up now.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2016, 06:18:46 am »
Though it's changing, in my area two months past the drink by date is "fresh" for some brands. Definitely not the brewery's fault, we have several unscrupulous distributors out here. Thankfully the worst offender is currently losing a lot of his craft brands. I had my first fresh Dale's Pale Ale just a few weeks ago.

It's bad. I think that's why some of the local microbreweries that make lousy beer are doing so well, folks don't know what they're missing because so much of the craft beer here is old.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2016, 06:29:39 am »
I think that's why some of the local microbreweries that make lousy beer are doing so well, folks don't know what they're missing because so much of the craft beer here is old.

Yeah, no doubt. It's why I'm not buying as much packaged craft beer these days, unless the packaged date is clearly visible. I either drink it a brewery or craft bar, take home a growler or drink my stuff pretty much all the time. Most of the time lately, it's mine.
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2016, 01:56:47 pm »
If I had time to brew more often I'd be in the same boat.

Thankfully, things are improving. Within the last month really fresh SN products have started to appear, and a few other brands are now nice and fresh as well.

Nothing is more frustrating than having great local breweries (Flying Dog, Heavy Seas, Dogfish Head) only to have their beer already stale when it's put on the shelf to sell.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2016, 09:03:59 am »
If you can find this on draft, do yourself a favor and order it.  its even better on tap.  ;D
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2016, 09:37:44 am »
I enjoyed this beer. The record hops definetly adds some interesting spicy notes.

Festbier is much more drinkable in the summer heat than Oktoberfest. In the South we really need to delay Oktoberfest to Nov/Dec so we're not sweating when drinking it.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2016, 12:02:36 pm »
I enjoyed this beer. The record hops definetly adds some interesting spicy notes.

Festbier is much more drinkable in the summer heat than Oktoberfest. In the South we really need to delay Oktoberfest to Nov/Dec so we're not sweating when drinking it.

Got the last 6 pack of this at the bottle shop last weekend. Wife and I both enjoyed it quite a bit. Agreed re: record hops being notable in the beer (in a pleasant way). Not a connoisseur of festbier at all but I couldn't really find anything I didn't like about it. 

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2016, 12:41:24 pm »
I bought a six pack and drank half so far. I wasnt dissapointed but it also wasnt what I was expecting. I really liked last years batch. When I have Oktoberfest in mind thats what fits the bill for me. I know this is all together different, cant even compare the two. Ill drink it but I wouldnt run out to buy another 6 pack. But I really like what SN is doing with the different breweries and the Oktoberfest.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2016, 04:26:06 pm »
I bought a six pack and drank half so far. I wasnt dissapointed but it also wasnt what I was expecting. I really liked last years batch. When I have Oktoberfest in mind thats what fits the bill for me. I know this is all together different, cant even compare the two. Ill drink it but I wouldnt run out to buy another 6 pack. But I really like what SN is doing with the different breweries and the Oktoberfest.

At least they do mention on the packaging that is in the "vein" of a festbier.