Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: my Galena hops are flowering but no cones  (Read 5076 times)

Offline pmrichter

• 1st Kit
my Galena hops are flowering but no cones
« on: July 09, 2016, 04:43:07 pm »
This is my second year growing hops I have a centennial plant that is pumping out cones quite well. My Galena on the other hand is growing very well and flowering like crazy but they are NOT developing into cones. The first year both plants produced cones. Any thoughts out there?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: my Galena hops are flowering but no cones
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 06:52:06 pm »
Be patient. My Centennial is the first to have cones. The others will form soon. Centennial is also the first to be picked, both for mine, and out in Yakima.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 08:29:51 am »
Yup, be patient, different varieties of plants will behave in different ways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 10:21:31 am »
Be patient. My Centennial is the first to have cones. The others will form soon. Centennial is also the first to be picked, both for mine, and out in Yakima.

I thought Simcoe was usually the first harvested.  It seems like when we get there for Hop School the harvest has just begun and they're bringing in Simcoe.  I may be misremembering, though.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 12:26:20 pm »

I thought Simcoe was usually the first harvested.  It seems like when we get there for Hop School the harvest has just begun and they're bringing in Simcoe.  I may be misremembering, though.
They were harvesting Simcoe last year. The charts I remember said Centennial was earliest, then Simcoe.

At Perault they were starting the harvest with Simcoe, but they don't grow Centennial.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 01:38:41 pm »

They were harvesting Simcoe last year. The charts I remember said Centennial was earliest, then Simcoe.

At Perault they were starting the harvest with Simcoe, but they don't grow Centennial.

OK, that makes sense.  Based on what we heard, it sounds like they all wish they didn't grow Centennial!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 03:46:53 pm »

OK, that makes sense.  Based on what we heard, it sounds like they all wish they didn't grow Centennial!
Yeah, but it is the second most used hop in Craft beer, so the demand drives the supply.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 12:27:40 pm »
I started 3 plants this year. My Sterlings have had cones for about a month, but no real lupulin development yet. My Pacific Gem has just started to flower, and my Sorachi Ace has no signs of anything yet. But I'm not expecting much, given that it's year one, and we've had problems with both drought and gypsy moths. I'm just thankful for having relatively healthy plants at this point.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Sean Lawson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 06:58:20 pm »
I started 3 plants this year. My Sterlings have had cones for about a month, but no real lupulin development yet. My Pacific Gem has just started to flower, and my Sorachi Ace has no signs of anything yet. But I'm not expecting much, given that it's year one, and we've had problems with both drought and gypsy moths. I'm just thankful for having relatively healthy plants at this point.

Hi, it is important the place where you are? because I'm about to move to baltimore, it is a good place to cultivate my own hops?

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 04:24:21 pm »

Might I inquire what the issue is with growing Centennial?

As for me, I would be happy with no Galenas.  I dislike that hop.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 06:56:13 am »

Might I inquire what the issue is with growing Centennial?

As for me, I would be happy with no Galenas.  I dislike that hop.
Centennial has lower yeild per acre, and they called it finicky to grow. It did not do well in the heat last year.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 09:14:23 am »
Interesting.  I always assumed that since Centennial is sort of related to Cascade, it would grow like Cascade.

After growing hops for 20 years at my old house, where I grew 7 varieties, I now only grow Cascade.  Always a terrific producer, even in the warm drought years, as long as you kept them watered.

My worst hops were the noble hops.  Hallertauer and Saaz would outgrow Cascade in the spring and early summer, but when July rolled around, they would bake and turn yellow in the heat, no matter how much you kept the soil watered.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 01:19:13 pm »
Interesting.  I always assumed that since Centennial is sort of related to Cascade, it would grow like Cascade.

After growing hops for 20 years at my old house, where I grew 7 varieties, I now only grow Cascade.  Always a terrific producer, even in the warm drought years, as long as you kept them watered.

My worst hops were the noble hops.  Hallertauer and Saaz would outgrow Cascade in the spring and early summer, but when July rolled around, they would bake and turn yellow in the heat, no matter how much you kept the soil watered.

Centennial and cascade are related way back, somewhere, but not in the cross. Fuggles is in both cascade and centennial, much less in centennial.
Cascade is a cross of Fuggle and Serebrianker,

Centennial is 3/4 Brewers Gold, 3/32 Fuggle, 1/6 East kent Golding, 1/32 Bavarian and 1/16 Unknown.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild