Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer recipe that ferments at room temp  (Read 2436 times)

Offline mustbrew

• 1st Kit
Beer recipe that ferments at room temp
« on: August 16, 2016, 05:42:55 pm »
Can anyone suggest a few beer recipes that I could ferment at room temperature?? I don't have a frige or way to refrigerate my fermenting wort to 60° or below.. Well not yet at least. Any  recipes send my way would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: Beer recipe that ferments at room temp
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 07:08:44 pm »
Look for a Saison recipe.  Let the yeast work all the way up into the 80's
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 07:18:52 pm »
I've had good luck with English strains fermented at ambient temps. (70-72o, so not summertime.)

I'd usually chill down to as much as I could, then let the beer free rise on up. The important thing is that the beer would stay under 70 until usually day 4 or 5. I plan on experimenting on this more this coming winter, paying more attention to ambient/fermentation temps.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 07:26:30 pm »
Also consider a water bath approach for your ferm temps. Takes a bit of effort, but easy enough to start.

Offline mustbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 07:28:56 pm »
Also consider a water bath approach for your ferm temps. Takes a bit of effort, but easy enough to start.
Sounds like a good idea thanks

Offline mustbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 07:30:30 pm »
I saw a few of thoes.. Might just try one. Whats the taste like compared to store bought beer?

Offline txk54

• Cellarman
  • Tim in Cleveland
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 05:48:37 am »
+1 to both the saison and the water bath. I don't have a fermentation fridge and control temps successfully with the water bath method. Not as good as a fridge but it works for now.

I also just fermented a pale ale with Omega Yeast Hothead Ale. I'm kegging it this weekend so I can't comment on the final product, but the samples I've pulled have been good. I fermented that at room temperature.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 06:31:23 am »
I saw a few of thoes.. Might just try one. Whats the taste like compared to store bought beer?

It's fantastic.  I recommend the dry yeast called Belle Saison.  It takes at least 3 weeks to ferment but it's wonderful.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 06:38:21 am »
Another +1 to saison and to using a water bath. I used one for a couple years and it worked pretty well.
Jon H.

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 08:21:41 am »
Take a look at WY 3711 for a saison.  Has a temperature range of 65° to 77°F.  Has been used at higher temperatures with good results fermenting saisons.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 11:01:59 am »
IPA with a clean yeast like US-05 if room temp is low 70s or less.  Do a water bath to prevent a temperature spike during fermentation.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 11:05:48 am »
Remember, even if you do most of your fermentation at a high temp, you want to start lower for best results.  Start no higher than mid 60s.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 03:33:16 pm »
Remember, even if you do most of your fermentation at a high temp, you want to start lower for best results.  Start no higher than mid 60s.

Yes, and as stated earlier, even if you can really only control the temps (keeping them low) for the first few days you will be better off than not controlling them at all. After that, if the beer creeps up into the lower 70's the yeast have already performed the bulk of fermentation where esters and fusel alcohols are produced which with a fairly controlled temperature environment should minimize any negative impacts.