Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anvil fermenter  (Read 2684 times)

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
Anvil fermenter
« on: August 10, 2016, 09:59:38 pm »
I just bought a 10 gallon Anvil pot, it seems to be nice. I looked at the Anvil site and found out that they are selling kits to turn a pot into a fermenter.....Ummmm ?
 What do you guys think of this?

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Anvil fermenter
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 04:11:07 am »
it works
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 09:16:13 am »
Not much difference between a pot and a SS fermentor really.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 10:22:07 am »
Depending on your feelings about fermenting on top of trub, a "single vessel" setup seems like an interesting way to minimize opportunities for contamination.

For repitching and such it's probably suboptimal, but for a space constrained brewer doing stovetop it seems like a great idea.

I remember a Brew Strong episode from 5 or more years ago when Jamil mentioned a friend that did this (fermented in his pot). IIRC, he said the guy won a gold at NHC for American light lager using this technique.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 11:28:02 am »
Open fermentation in a SV kettle would be super interesting way to do a hefeweizen/weizenbock.  Once it takes off give it the 3+ days then seal as normal.  OR even a brett beer, keep the O2 out of it, and make the brett work for those funky flavors, and pitch warm...
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 09:36:59 am »
ya my thought is it might be nice to do the boil and leave it in the pot to use as a fermenter for a few weeks then just transfer to a keg. Seems like there would be less trouble with aeration and bugs.
 But kind of wondering if it seals good for the fermenting.
 Who knows I may get the kit and  just try it out.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 08:22:27 pm »
I have the Anvil kettle as well and I'm thinking about getting the Fermentation kit. One word of advice, Remove your dip tube after every boil/fermentation and give it a good scrub with a tube brush. I've found over a few boils, that unless you are scrubbing it out after each boil, it will build up some break/trub residue that may potentially harbor some nasties. The boil temps would probably keep this at bay, but never hurts to be thorough.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 04:11:56 pm »
Just bought the FIAK (ferment in a kettle) retrofit for the Anvil 10 gallon kettle.  I have done a few fermentations in a stainless kettle before without any problem and look forward to doing a few this way.  With the valve on the kettle, it is recommended to remove and clean the valve and pick up tube before each use, but it seems to me the sanitation issues would be only for the external parts of the valve that are exposed post boil. For those, I think I could live with a good spray down of Iodophor or Star San at the point of racking through the valve or even racking with a sanitized cane to avoid the valve sanitation issue (though that is part of the allure of the Anvil pot in the first place....).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 07:43:35 pm »
I completely take off the spigots and stuff after several brews anyway and disassemble the ball valves for a good cleaning. Had a problem before with bad beer because of gunk in the ball valves. Need to take apart and clean regularly.