Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: where did I go wrong  (Read 5116 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: where did I go wrong
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2016, 02:56:56 pm »
Got the ice cube trick from you and Denny here!  I make mine with distilled water so as not to offset the pH too much. Works great.

Nice. I make RO cubes. Same idea !

We are definitely two beer geeks.  8)

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2016, 09:07:36 pm »
wow all the information you guys are giving is great please don't stop.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 06:12:35 am »
Jumping off of the mash temps thread, I don't OCD about the temp anymore.  I used to think I was ruining a beer when it was off a few degrees...  (it doesn't)  I just get into range.  Low/mid/high.  Very good points already made by others, it's all about dialing your setup in.  It takes time and sometimes no matter what s*** happens.   ;D  Do not OCD about mash thickness either.  I use 1.6qts/lb because it usually results in simple volumes of water that are nearly equal to sparge (IE 10lbs is an even 4G)  This is important for instance if there is a zombie apocalypse and you are without means to measure accurately.  Incidentally, a Cleveland Indians beer pitcher circa late 90's holds exactly 2lbs of grain...  Another method is to buy a nice wooden brewing spoon and add measured amounts of water in kettle (I used gallons) and immerse spoon take out and use a saw to add a band to water level.  I also added a double band for 5.5G as it is my intended batch size and use the spoon to assess boil off rate. 

While I agree pH is important and it can wait until you get your process sound, you should at least be mindful of your water.  Do a little research.  Find if your water is treated with chlorine or chloramines.  These will give your beer off flavors.  Pretty easy to treat with campden tabs. 

PS you owe your buddy a beer for the suggestion to reheat (we've all done it)  Congrats on your first step mash!
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 09:58:59 am »
Jumping off of the mash temps thread, I don't OCD about the temp anymore.  I used to think I was ruining a beer when it was off a few degrees...  (it doesn't)  I just get into range.  Low/mid/high.  Very good points already made by others, it's all about dialing your setup in.  It takes time and sometimes no matter what s*** happens.   ;D  Do not OCD about mash thickness either.  I use 1.6qts/lb because it usually results in simple volumes of water that are nearly equal to sparge (IE 10lbs is an even 4G)  This is important for instance if there is a zombie apocalypse and you are without means to measure accurately.  Incidentally, a Cleveland Indians beer pitcher circa late 90's holds exactly 2lbs of grain...  Another method is to buy a nice wooden brewing spoon and add measured amounts of water in kettle (I used gallons) and immerse spoon take out and use a saw to add a band to water level.  I also added a double band for 5.5G as it is my intended batch size and use the spoon to assess boil off rate. 

While I agree pH is important and it can wait until you get your process sound, you should at least be mindful of your water.  Do a little research.  Find if your water is treated with chlorine or chloramines.  These will give your beer off flavors.  Pretty easy to treat with campden tabs. 

PS you owe your buddy a beer for the suggestion to reheat (we've all done it)  Congrats on your first step mash!
I use the crystal Springs bottled water nondistilled. Is there any problem with that stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2016, 01:56:12 pm »

I use the crystal Springs bottled water nondistilled. Is there any problem with that stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I would think any spring water is fine.  Their water report can be found on their site, which I found below.  It's a good starting point and you can make good beer with no additions.  At the very least gypsum is the most widely used addition (calcium sulfate). 

https://www.water.com/files/nonbrand/waterqualityreports/Spring_Water_Quality_Report_032016.pdf?_ga=1.187407521.841317910.1472068052

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk