Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: An Interesting Rebuttle to the "Selling Out Article  (Read 2281 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
An Interesting Rebuttle to the "Selling Out Article
« on: September 06, 2016, 01:21:19 pm »
This has well thought out and expressed counter points to the selling out article making the rounds and even linked here on the AHA Forum.

Rebuttle
http://moderntimesbeer.com/blog/what-selling-out

Original
http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/craft-brewery-acquisition-pros-and-cons.html

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: An Interesting Rebuttle to the "Selling Out Article
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 02:01:54 pm »
rebuttle link not working for me, and when googling modern times to get to moderntimesbeer.com, I get a blank screen.
http://moderntimesbeer.com/site/age-verification
guess they are getting overloaded with people wanting to read their response
got it working now, about to read
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 02:06:44 pm »
rebuttle link not working for me, and when googling modern times to get to moderntimesbeer.com, I get a blank screen.
http://moderntimesbeer.com/site/age-verification
guess they are getting overloaded with people wanting to read their response
got it working now, about to read
It didn't work for mr the first time either.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 02:11:21 pm »
Glad I could get to it, great read and great response
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 02:18:07 pm »
Golden Road is the brewing equivalent of a tech startup. They were created to be bought. The beers are fine.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 06:21:51 am »
Great read, but I don't buy the ease of distribution position.  The different rules of varying jurisdictions alone are enough to prevent some smaller operators from trying to expand to other geographic markets.  But at least one used it as a marketing edge - New Glarus "Only in Wisconsin".  And their beers are solid.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 06:28:21 am »
"Side note: Calling ABI "the best lager makers around" is like calling Kraft the best cheese makers around; allowing that statement from Blue Point’s president to go unquestioned is bizarre."

Bwahahahahahaha!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 10:03:21 am »
Great read, but I don't buy the ease of distribution position.  The different rules of varying jurisdictions alone are enough to prevent some smaller operators from trying to expand to other geographic markets.  But at least one used it as a marketing edge - New Glarus "Only in Wisconsin".  And their beers are solid.

The large brewers already have infrastructure in most or all states to bring new products into those markets so it is definitely easier for them to distribute beers into those states.

Texas is a good example of this. Here you have to pay a several thousand dollar fee for the privilege of gaining access to the market. (I am sure other states do this too.) If you're a small or mid-sized brewery trying to get into Texas then having to pay to play each year is going to be a deterrent to entering our market. You have to know you can move enough product in the state to clear the fees plus expenses. At wholesale prices that's a lot of beer sold before any profit is made. If you are an acquired brand then you can ride the fees of the parent company and use their more efficient production model to lower the bar of entry and start turning profits quicker. 
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 11:43:30 am »

The large brewers already have infrastructure in most or all states to bring new products into those markets so it is definitely easier for them to distribute beers into those states.

Texas is a good example of this. Here you have to pay a several thousand dollar fee for the privilege of gaining access to the market. (I am sure other states do this too.) If you're a small or mid-sized brewery trying to get into Texas then having to pay to play each year is going to be a deterrent to entering our market. You have to know you can move enough product in the state to clear the fees plus expenses. At wholesale prices that's a lot of beer sold before any profit is made. If you are an acquired brand then you can ride the fees of the parent company and use their more efficient production model to lower the bar of entry and start turning profits quicker.

Yes, that was my point - the rebuttal writer said that exporting craft beers was a snap - that is not true.  As to his other points, he would certainly know better than I - a mere homebrewer.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 11:59:22 am »
Maybe it's a snap when you are one of the top/most popular breweries in Southern California and distributors are working to get your beer in their markets.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 01:00:18 pm »

New Glarus used to distribute in Chicago, but got fed up with the distributor shenanigans and went Wisconsin only. Their Moon Man APA is excellent, I'll be stocking up next week when I'm in Madison.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 01:12:05 pm »

New Glarus used to distribute in Chicago, but got fed up with the distributor shenanigans and went Wisconsin only. Their Moon Man APA is excellent, I'll be stocking up next week when I'm in Madison.

I enjoy pretty much all of their beers.  An outstanding brewery and I wish I didn't have to venture through the cheese curtain to get some.

Bell's pulled out of Illinois for a while for similar reasons, IIRC.  The lure of the market must have brought them back though.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 01:15:05 pm »
I enjoy pretty much all of their beers.  An outstanding brewery and I wish I didn't have to venture through the cheese curtain to get some.

Yeah, just a great brewery. I've liked everything I've tried from them.
Jon H.