Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wild Peach Yeast  (Read 2450 times)

Offline NeverTooBitter

• 1st Kit
Wild Peach Yeast
« on: August 11, 2016, 05:09:20 pm »
I currently have a saison in primary.  I want to add peaches to the secondary but I'm worried about any bit of wild yeast the fruit may have.  I would normally add camden tablets but I want to bottle condition this batch. Help!  If I add camden tablets, will there be enough yeast left over after secondary to bottle condition?  Should I just not worry about the peach yeast and go ahead normally?  All input is greatly appreciated!
“I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Wild Peach Yeast
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 02:41:37 am »
Just wash em and freeze them. Yes, there will be yeast on the skin but the beer will be stable enough that you won't have any problems especially with a saison yeast being so highly attenuated. I have used fruit like this many times and if you secondary ferment it till completely still you won't have any issues.

Offline NeverTooBitter

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 08:13:25 am »
I plan on making a puree with the peaches.  Is it still necessary to freeze the peaches?
“I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 10:49:37 am »
Freezing isn't necessary for a puree but it will kill off some of the bacteria and yeast on the exterior. It certainly won't hurt.

You might get some bacteria and yeast carryover from the fruit but they will be at such low levels that it will likely take a long time in the bottle before you see any potential impact. Whatever might happen is likely going to add a rustic edge to the beer that works really well with saisons. The likelihood that you develop something unpleasant in the beer is fairly unlikely. If you want to drive the probability to zero then you'll need to pasteurize the fruit.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 04:23:36 pm »
You could even toss the peaches in some star san prior to putting them in the blender if you were really worried about after washing them first of course.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 04:29:14 pm »
You could even toss the peaches in some star san prior to putting them in the blender if you were really worried about after washing them first of course.
Or vodka

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 04:29:55 pm »
Or vodka

Save the vodka for drinking!  :D

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 04:30:31 pm »
Or vodka

I never said you needed to decant ;)

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 04:33:34 pm »
Or vodka

Hmmmm....Peach vodka. Sounds like a panty dropper to me!

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 04:59:19 pm »
Or vodka

Hmmmm....Peach vodka. Sounds like a panty dropper to me!
Toss that into a Dortmunder and you've got a party!