Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I feel like an olypian.  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
I feel like an olypian.
« on: August 12, 2016, 10:04:18 am »
Yesterday I looked over the results from the Clark County fair homebrew competition to see how well my entries did. My best score was for a hellesbock: 42.33 and fourth place overall. The top three get gift certificates to Bader Homebrew supply. Third place was a score of 42.5, ARRRRGH, only .18 point away from the podium.

Yes, I am kind of bragging.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: I feel like an olypian.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 10:10:27 am »
Nice job, Steve!
Jon H.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 11:56:37 am »
It's not bragging if you can do it. Congratulations and thanks for letting us know.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 04:10:17 pm »
More training needed. Either that, or it's time to Nancy Kerrigan your competition!

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 05:38:14 pm »
That's an awesome score! Without placing, you will just have to enjoy drinking the rest of the batch. I think you can make that happen
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 04:44:49 am »
I once had a 43 from a national judge and a pro brewer - it didn't place in the competition as a Helles.  I enjoyed that beer all the more and so should you with yours!  Congrats on hitting such a high mark and consider re-brewing it for future comps - as a judge I welcome exceptional beers to evaluate.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 09:17:58 am »
I feel like an Olympian because I've been drinking caipirinha's every night this week. Your story is much better :)

Congrats, Steve!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 11:23:39 am »
That's an awesome score! Without placing, you will just have to enjoy drinking the rest of the batch. I think you can make that happen

Woe is me! There is only one bottle left. :(
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 11:34:38 am »
In the interest of full disclosure I should also report that I got a 36.33 for a British barleywine, a 31 for a Czech pilsner, and a 25.5 for an alt.
About what I expected for the first two, but the alt score was a bit of a disappointment. Oh well, I'll have to give the score sheets a good look when I pick them up next week.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 11:42:35 am »
In the interest of full disclosure I should also report that I got a 36.33 for a British barleywine, a 31 for a Czech pilsner, and a 25.5 for an alt.
About what I expected for the first two, but the alt score was a bit of a disappointment. Oh well, I'll have to give the score sheets a good look when I pick them up next week.

It's always a crapshoot. Some judges score high, some low, most are fair, occasionally you get a head scratcher. I got a 41 on a cider @ NHC this year that didn't advance to 2nd round. The beers I submitted were 38 and 39 (didn't advance either). You just never know.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 12:17:19 pm »

It's always a crapshoot. Some judges score high, some low, most are fair, occasionally you get a head scratcher. I got a 41 on a cider @ NHC this year that didn't advance to 2nd round. The beers I submitted were 38 and 39 (didn't advance either). You just never know.

You said it!  Just stole a 1st Best of Show with an American Blond ale at a recent comp. It was also judged at another competition on the same day and not only did it not place, it only scored a 29. Ha! 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 12:18:47 pm »

You said it!  Just stole a 1st Best of Show with an American Blond ale at a recent comp. It was also judged at another competition on the same day and not only did it not place, it only scored a 29. Ha! 

Yep  ;D   Go figure. Regardless, congrats on the BOS.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 12:20:09 pm »

Yep  ;D   Go figure. Regardless, congrats on the BOS.

Thanks. Just funny how those things work out. Probably wasn't really a BOS and not really a 29 point beer either. Either way I schwilled it all down!

Offline westcoastbrew

• 1st Kit
    • HomeBrewingDeal.com
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 12:49:31 pm »
Congratulations!

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 03:57:40 pm »
Yesterday I looked over the results from the Clark County fair homebrew competition to see how well my entries did. My best score was for a hellesbock: 42.33 and fourth place overall. The top three get gift certificates to Bader Homebrew supply. Third place was a score of 42.5, ARRRRGH, only .18 point away from the podium.

Yes, I am kind of bragging.

I think this proves that I can brew a lager contrary to what the fellas at the little uberbrewers forum seem to think.
I wonder if I should apply to have my permanent ban rescinded.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women