Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Martini's  (Read 20991 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Martini's
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2010, 03:47:25 pm »
Normally I'd think this would qualify as a gross idea, but I have to give the benefit of the doubt...if any drink would strike me as working well with a carnivore's garnish, the savory flavors of juniper and herbal vermouth would seem like the ideal place for it.

That dried sausage looks similar to some sremska kobasice I had recently...almost a beef jerky like flavor in a dried cured Serbian sausage.  Too bad I ate it all, it would do nicely as a garnish!  Probably would color the gin though.

Yeah, the paprika would probably leech. But who cares!
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2010, 10:14:20 pm »
Normally I'd think this would qualify as a gross idea, but I have to give the benefit of the doubt...if any drink would strike me as working well with a carnivore's garnish, the savory flavors of juniper and herbal vermouth would seem like the ideal place for it.

That dried sausage looks similar to some sremska kobasice I had recently...almost a beef jerky like flavor in a dried cured Serbian sausage.  Too bad I ate it all, it would do nicely as a garnish!  Probably would color the gin though.

Yeah, the paprika would probably leech. But who cares!

RIGHT!
Paprika essence is a good thing.
"...nincs olyan, hogy túl sok paprika...."
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2010, 05:58:27 pm »
e'n majd furdeni benne
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2010, 06:16:40 pm »
I was surprised too, but the alcohol really brings out the essence of whatever garnish is put in the Martini's. Beef is beefier and cheese is cheesier. The salmon isn't fishy but tastes clean.

It goes well on either vodka or gin but IMO beef is better with the vodka. 
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2010, 12:48:58 am »
I just cracked open a new bottle of booze: Crystal Head Vodka!

Dan Akroyd's offering in a awesome skull-shaped bottle. http://crystalheadvodka.com
Nice in the Vodka Martini! Smooth. Supposedly 4x distilled and 3x filtered through "Herkimer Diamonds".

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2010, 09:52:38 pm »
What about injecting straight gin into a brat? That sounds tasty. Cap, I'll take a plate of sausage-tinis over here.

Or make a martini glass out of bacon.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2010, 07:06:49 am »
What about injecting straight gin into a brat? That sounds tasty. Cap, I'll take a plate of sausage-tinis over here.

Or make a martini glass out of bacon.

spackle the inside of the bacon glass with a soft cheese, or liverwurst so it can actually hold liquid. :)
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2010, 12:40:52 pm »
How does filtering through double terminated quartz crystals (aka "Herkimer Diamonds") improve the quality of the vodka?

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2010, 12:46:58 pm »
It improves the marketing quality of the vodka!   ;D

I'm going to try this fairly soonish, just need to pick up the vital spirits.

Offline sir_eldren

• 1st Kit
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2010, 06:52:51 pm »
I'm a little late jumping into this conversation, but I had a busy weekend.  *sigh*

I love martinis.  REAL martinis.  If it's got vodka, you might as well be drinking a Sprite or Coors or spoiled milk.   ;D

When it comes to Gin, my regular choice is Beefeater, although there is a nice, cheap brand I find on the shelf here in Nevada, Gilbey's.  I don't know if I've got a crappy palate, or if it's actually a worthwhile gin, but it works well for me.

When I can afford it I like to pick up a bottle of McMenamins Professor's Gin from the distillery in Troutdale, Oregon.  It has to be the finest gin I've ever tasted.

I like to keep my bottles at room temperature.  I put about 6 or 7 ice cubes in my shaker, a whole jigger of dry vermouth, 3+ jiggers of gin, shake hard for about 15 seconds, and the strain and pour.  I throw in about 5 olives, but all of these suggestions about a meat-tini have really curious about putting in some salmon--raw, sushi salmon!  Perhaps a piece of flank steak or something might be an interesting take too.
There once was a man from France, but he tasted a few Oregon brews and now he's from Portland.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2010, 08:06:05 pm »
When I can afford it I like to pick up a bottle of McMenamins Professor's Gin from the distillery in Troutdale, Oregon.  It has to be the finest gin I've ever tasted.
I've had that gin, too.  It's fantastic.  Of course the atmosphere helps - on vacation at the outdoor patio bar at the St. Francis Inn in Bend when I tried it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2010, 03:43:45 pm »
Hmmm...best idea on this thread thus far is Jeff Renner's "martini-off"...

What I like about the martini-off, is after its over, you end up with 4 bottles of gin.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2010, 09:56:55 pm »
e'n majd furdeni benne

nevetett hangosan!   (LOL)
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2010, 10:05:43 pm »
OK folks! I've backed of these treacherous martini's a bit but now that my mini-vacation has begun I present to you what I call the BP. Chilled Sapphire (wet), a spicy shrimp and a blue-cheese stuffed olive:
I'll let your imagine percolate for a minute...

See the little Oil Slick? ...?

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2010, 09:03:39 am »
The tiniest splash of dark sesame oil would be a nice addition to that perhaps...at least aesthetically...