Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beergas question  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Berts_garage

• 1st Kit
Beergas question
« on: August 18, 2016, 04:27:22 pm »
I'm getting into kegging and I have everything set up... Well, at least I thought I did until I started reading about beergas.

While keg sits empty waiting for my first kegged brew I stumbled on a thread about stout faucets and that you need one if you're running beergas. Is this true? I have beer gas hooked up to a Perlick ss630 faucet and now I'm worried I have the wrong gas/faucet setup. Will my setup work??

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Beergas question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 04:32:30 pm »
Are you sure you have beer gas? Beer gas is a blend of co2 and nitrogen. It is used to allow for higher pressures needed with stout faucets and very long draft lines.

Offline Berts_garage

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 05:14:46 pm »
It says beergas right on the bottle. Is it possible to use this in my setup? My gas line is only a few feet long and I have the Perlick tap. I just nees to know if I need to get a stout tap or if I should go back and exchange the tank. I've spent money on a brand new regulator for the beer gas that I might not be able to exchange. Basically I want to use what I have right now if it's possible with spending more money.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 06:29:56 pm »
You can use it, but you will need to use a higher pressure and longer beer lines. The higher pressure is to maintain co2 volume in the beer, the longer lines are to provide back pressure. The pressure will depend on the ratio of your mix.

Bars and restaurants with very long draws use beer gas to avoid over carbonating the beer.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 08:06:54 am »
Assuming that you aren't planning on serving predominantly British/Irish styles, i.e., styles of beer that tend to be served on the flat side, I would swap the beergas for CO2.  Adapters can be had if the regulator does not fit your CO2 cylinder:  http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/regulators/adapter.shtml