Author Topic: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast  (Read 7979 times)

Offline kgs

• Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2016, 10:02:53 AM »
I don't know if bottled water has chloramine in it, but I also don't know how to test for it, particularly if I'm buying bottled water,

I'm pretty sure that you can smell it. I'm also pretty sure that bottled water doesn't have any.

Martin writes, "Complete chlorine and chloramine removal is required since chlorophenols can be tasted at very low levels (10 ppb)" ( https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/water-knowledge ). I'm not sure my nose could pick up a chloramine odor at that level. You're probably right about bottled water (I looked at Nestle's water report, and it was ND for chloramine), but if it doesn't harm the brewing process, I'll keep doing it. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that sometimes, "spring" water is tap water.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2016, 10:06:55 AM »
I'm going to try this yeast tomorrow, assuming the LHBS carries it and the other stuff I want. I adapted the following recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. ESB is the first style I ever brewed, from an extract kit I bought in Jan 2009.

I'm mulling over buying RO water and then treating it. Regardless, it will be beer. There is one process change: fermenting in a bucket with a spigot, so I can drain directly into a purged keg.

Interregnum ESB (2.5 gallons)

6 lbs Golden Promise
4 oz Crystal 15L
2 oz Crystal 120L
.75 oz Kent Goldings 5% AA 60 min
1.25 oz Kent Goldings 5% AA whirlpool
1/2 tab whirfloc
1 packet Lallemand London Premium ESB Yeast
Campden tablet in bottled spring water

Mash 152 (no sparge)
Ferment 68
Carbonate 1.75 vol
Maybe toss .5 oz hops in the keg in a small weighted bag
I would suggest mashing a little cooler, 148 maybe.  I did an ESB with that yeast and mashed 152-154.  It fermented out a bit sweet for my taste.  This yeast doesn't ferment maltriose.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline kgs

• Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2016, 10:09:32 AM »
I'm going to try this yeast tomorrow, assuming the LHBS carries it and the other stuff I want. I adapted the following recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. ESB is the first style I ever brewed, from an extract kit I bought in Jan 2009.

I'm mulling over buying RO water and then treating it. Regardless, it will be beer. There is one process change: fermenting in a bucket with a spigot, so I can drain directly into a purged keg.

Interregnum ESB (2.5 gallons)

6 lbs Golden Promise
4 oz Crystal 15L
2 oz Crystal 120L
.75 oz Kent Goldings 5% AA 60 min
1.25 oz Kent Goldings 5% AA whirlpool
1/2 tab whirfloc
1 packet Lallemand London Premium ESB Yeast
Campden tablet in bottled spring water

Mash 152 (no sparge)
Ferment 68
Carbonate 1.75 vol
Maybe toss .5 oz hops in the keg in a small weighted bag
I would suggest mashing a little cooler, 148 maybe.  I did an ESB with that yeast and mashed 152-154.  It fermented out a bit sweet for my taste.  This yeast doesn't ferment maltriose.

That's very helpful, thanks!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2017, 03:33:19 PM »
I used this today. Made a Bitter, 1.048 and mashed 148-150* for the most part. Pitched at 66* and will ferment around the same. Used Bru'n Water Amber Dry water profile pretty much.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2017, 09:44:49 AM »
I used this today. Made a Bitter, 1.048 and mashed 148-150* for the most part. Pitched at 66* and will ferment around the same. Used Bru'n Water Amber Dry water profile pretty much.

This strain is a low attenuation yeast strain that cannot utilize any maltotriose generated during the mash.  Unless you have a decent amount of simple sugars (table sugar, invert, candi syrup, dextrose, etc) in the beer, or have planned your recipe around 65% attenuation (FG 1.016-1.017), I would recommend "encouraging" continued fermentation through temperature increasing.  Another characteristic is that this yeast is FAST to ferment (36-48 hours to FG).  With these things in mind, I personally give about 24 hours of controlled fermentation at the temperature of my choice, and after that period I get the fermenter up to 72-74F and keep it there (and cross my fingers it helps with additional attenuation).

I'd like to hear how it all works out regardless of good/bad results.