Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast  (Read 26958 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2021, 12:46:44 pm »
Is there a rule of thumb on how much sugar is needed to move the FG down by 1 point? I understand the advice to add sugar to decrease gravity but don’t know how much sugar is needed.
If I plug 1 lb Demerara sugar into BeerSmith it says 1.009. So 1.001 should be ~.125 lb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
But, that’s moving the SG up.

I am talking about moving the FG down when sugar is added to a brew with yeast that doesn’t process maltose. The sugar is fermented more completely so it makes a less dense volume of beer combined with the more dense volume of beer from the malt additions. In this case, the inclusion of sugar averages down the FG. But, by how much?

Offline tommymorris

Lallemand London ESB Premium Yeast
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2021, 12:52:12 pm »
But to your point, BeerSmith predicts a 1050 beer with 9% Demera finishes at 1010 versus 1014 for a 1050 beer made of 100% pale malt.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2021, 12:52:26 pm »
Ah.  If I add a lb of sugar to an existing recipe in BeerSmith the FG goes down 3 pts.

Edit: 2-4. I tried it on several recipes and got a variation.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 12:53:57 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2021, 01:20:47 pm »
Ah. If I add a lb of sugar to an existing recipe in BeerSmith the FG goes down 3 pts.

Edit: 2-4. I tried it on several recipes and got a variation.

Can I assume you substituted the sugar for something else?

I may be thinking about this upside down but if the sugar is fully fermentable, adding sugar to an existing recipe will only increase OG and not change FG...unless you use the sugar as a substitute for malt, keeping the OG the same.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2021, 02:44:32 pm »
No. I just added it to a few existing recipes in BeerSmith as is. BeerSmith predicts it lowers FG 2-4 points.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2021, 03:47:28 pm »
No. I just added it to a few existing recipes in BeerSmith as is. BeerSmith predicts it lowers FG 2-4 points.

So adding sugar not only increases a recipe’s OG but also decreases the FG?  I have to be honest, that makes no sense to me. Does sugar make the rest of the grains more fermentable?

Rough examples:

10# Malt
1.050 OG
1.010 FG

10# Malt + x# sugar
1.055 OG
1.008 FG

??

How can the yeast attenuate the base recipe further?

I can understand this:

9.5# Malt
x# sugar
1.050 OG
1.008 FG

In this case you are subbing something more fermentable in for something less fermentable.

This feels like I’m failing Brewing 101.  :)

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2021, 03:59:29 pm »
Alcohol has a specific gravity below 1.000.  For instance, champagne will finish at a gravity of around 0.992.  So at least theoretically, when you are adding sugar that is 100% fermentable, you can reduce the FG accordingly, since when the alcohol is produced, the SG is not aiming for 1.000, but rather something much lower.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2021, 04:12:51 pm »
Alcohol has a specific gravity below 1.000.  For instance, champagne will finish at a gravity of around 0.992.  So at least theoretically, when you are adding sugar that is 100% fermentable, you can reduce the FG accordingly, since when the alcohol is produced, the SG is not aiming for 1.000, but rather something much lower.

Well sure….if you use science and stuff.

I was definitely under the impression that say…corn sugar…would just essentially cancel itself out.  Add the gravity, subtract the gravity.  Not add the gravity, subtract more gravity. 

Thanks for the clarification. 

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2021, 06:51:53 pm »
When you add sugar you can reduce your grains.  Most likely reduction is some of the base malt.