Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Efficiency drop after switching from bazooka screen to false bottom  (Read 5105 times)

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
Re: Efficiency drop after switching from bazooka screen to false bottom
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 12:51:40 pm »
Can you detail out an example line by line (e.g. recipe, strike and mash water volumes, pre and post boil gravities and volumes)?

My guess is that in spelling it out that way you'll either find the culprit yourself or someone here will spot the missing link.

Offline tmm786

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 08:19:22 am »
Can you detail out an example line by line (e.g. recipe, strike and mash water volumes, pre and post boil gravities and volumes)?

My guess is that in spelling it out that way you'll either find the culprit yourself or someone here will spot the missing link.

That is a good idea, you are probably right. I hope to brew this weekend and will focus on this. If I have the same results I post all of the above for feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 05:03:45 pm »
Are you sure that your hydrometer or refractometer isn't out of whack?
 You also might want to brew the one of the same recipes you did previously that had the higher efficiancy.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline tmm786

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 07:31:26 pm »
Are you sure that your hydrometer or refractometer isn't out of whack?
 You also might want to brew the one of the same recipes you did previously that had the higher efficiancy.

I have taken measurements with both of them back-to-back and they agree.  If they are out of whack, they are out of whack together.  And my next recipe will likely be one I have brewed before, so hopefully that will help.

Offline tmm786

• 1st Kit
Efficiency drop after switching from bazooka screen to false bottom
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 07:51:38 pm »
I brewed again this past weekend.  I did have a slightly higher Brewhouse Efficiency (65%) but still lower than I had been getting with a bazooka screen.  Here is my recipe and steps, in hopes that someone might be able to point something out to get my efficiency a little higher:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Belgian Saison
Author: Tim

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Saison
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 8 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 9.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.047
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 5.83%
IBU (tinseth): 25.71
SRM (morey): 3.14

FERMENTABLES:
14 lb - German - Pilsner (87.5%)
1 lb - German - Carapils (6.3%)
1 lb - Cane Sugar (6.3%)  (late addition - 10 minutes remaining in boil)

HOPS:
3 oz - Saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 25.71

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 120 F, Time: 15 min
2) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 45 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.25 qt/lb

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2016-09-15 01:40 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2016-09-10 16:38 UTC

---- BREW STEPS ----

Heated strike water of 4.75 gallons to mash in
Crushed grain (see photos)
Added 4.75 gallons of strike water to mash tun
added grains and stirred.
1.25 gts per lb
first rest 127 degrees F
added 2 gallons boiling to raise to 150.
added 2 gallons boiling to raise to mashout at 168.
Vorlaufed, then drained to kettle
batch sparged with 170 degree water (4 gallons)
Vorlaufed, then drained volume to kettle.

Boiled for one hour and ended up with 8.25 gallons in the fermentors (expected 8, so a little high).

Calculations from Brewer's Friend:
Conversion: 77.7%
Pre-Boil: 60% 22.6 ppg
Ending Kettle: 74% 29 ppg
Brew House: 65% 25.8 ppg

Gravity reading measured after it cooled -- 1.050

Looking for some suggestions.  Am I doing anything fundamentally wrong, or could I improve my process?

Thanks,
Tim

« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:56:27 pm by tmm786 »

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 05:09:04 am »
I bet if you hit your 8 gallons you would have been just about on target.  Calculate your next brew considering ~.25 gallons of dead space and up your grain bill slightly.  If you hit your numbers I bet you will be spot on again....

Dave 
Dave Zach

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 11:42:32 am »
Also consider putting some stainless worm gear clamps on the tubing - vigorous stirring could cause a loose connection or loss of siphon through the unclamped tubing.

Just a suggestion....good luck!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline brewchez

• 1st Kit
    • Brew Dudes
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2016, 08:04:52 am »
In your first post you mention purchasing a mill too?  That is a change isn't it or did I mis-read that. If so I'd suspect its your crush compared to where ever your grain was being crushed before.  Get a batch of ingredients for a prior beer and have it crushed at where ever you had it crushed before you bought a mill.  Then make a comparison between the false bottom and the historical bazooka results.
-Mike

Keep it warm, keep it clean, keep it covered.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2016, 08:36:00 am »
In your first post you mention purchasing a mill too?  That is a change isn't it or did I mis-read that. If so I'd suspect its your crush compared to where ever your grain was being crushed before.  Get a batch of ingredients for a prior beer and have it crushed at where ever you had it crushed before you bought a mill.  Then make a comparison between the false bottom and the historical bazooka results.

Good call!  Give this man a prize.  OP states: "used my own grain bill on the last two batches".  This explains everything.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline tmm786

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2016, 09:32:12 pm »

Yes. After I switched to a false bottom I did also purchase a mill. That just added to the different combinations of things going on attributing to a 60% efficiency.  I added that to say that no matter the grain source or where it was crushed I was getting the same lower average efficiency.

However, I am happy to report that for my last  batch on Friday I landed at 80% efficiency!  I tightened up the mill a little further and added hose clamps to the false bottom and on the outside of the mash tun (as suggested earlier in this post).  I had planned for 65% so my gravity was high but if it is repeatable I will be happy and I can plan for it.... time will tell.  On to the next batch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk