Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First all grain brew going into competition  (Read 2571 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: First all grain brew going into competition
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 06:43:26 am »
When you bottle for the competition, save one or two and keep cold. When you get your score sheets, set down with a glass of one of those and read the sheets. See if you pick up what the judges are smelling and tasting. Read the suggestions for improvements.

This has opened my eyes several times, and helped the process. Sometimes I just don't get what they are getting, and have done all of their suggestions as part of my procedure.

+1.  Focus on the descriptors they provide as well. It will help you become a better beer taster in the long run.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 07:16:51 am »
Yes, read what the judges write, but also take it with a grain of salt when you can't get at what they are saying. Especially with IPA, personal preference can go a long way. I once judged the second round of IPA in a large competition. One of the beers I tasted was really great. It was, by far, the best of the bunch to me. I gave it a 44, I think. Most other judges gave it a low-30's score. One gave it a 28. It turned out none of the older judges thought it tasted/smelled like hops because it had an obvious "new school" (mosaic) hop smell. They actually misidentified the beer as being faulty because they didn't understand that hops (not yeast mismanagement or a fruit addition) provided those aromas. One even said something like, "I just don't get any citrus in this, so it's not a well-made AIPA." After we submitted our final scores for the round (this beer placed 4th of 6, I think), the steward (who was silently agreeing with me) told me whose beer I had been drinking. It was a well-known award-winning homebrewer who had won several major awards for IPA in the past and took at least one 1st place in this same competition. It was called "Mosaic IPA" which is how I knew the specific hop.

We brewers like to think that the competition is about technical proficiency, and this may be the case with many styles (helles comes to mind), but the broad styles like IPA, American Amber Ale, and Porter will often come down to the personal preference of the judges rather than just technical merit.

Offline BrewDrinkRepeat

• 1st Kit
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 04:53:39 pm »
She came out something special. My best brew to date. Have a look.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 05:57:04 pm »
I like the Rhinegeist Glass.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewDrinkRepeat

• 1st Kit
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2016, 06:02:25 pm »
I promise it gets better than the glass lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 07:11:18 am by EventHorizonBrewing »