Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Resume boil a week later  (Read 4594 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Resume boil a week later
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 03:44:37 pm »
pH?

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 12:47:14 am »
I've had both lacto and mold in iced tea and lemonade before. They usually don't become pronounced for 2-3 weeks, but you can start to taste a twang from the lacto (more in the aftertaste at first).

Before anyone asks, I grew up on a farm where people took water jugs filled with various beverages out on tractors every day (and sometimes forgot them).

Let's just say that whether left refrigerated or not, time is not kind to these things.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 09:10:00 am »
I've had both lacto and mold in iced tea and lemonade before. They usually don't become pronounced for 2-3 weeks, but you can start to taste a twang from the lacto (more in the aftertaste at first).

Before anyone asks, I grew up on a farm where people took water jugs filled with various beverages out on tractors every day (and sometimes forgot them).

Let's just say that whether left refrigerated or not, time is not kind to these things.

There are lots of opportunities for unique infections on the farm.  Exactly what you run into has to do with what kind of farm you run.  Some really interesting things can get started in a livestock barn.  8^)

I have to admit the jump to botulism after my first post was unexpected but really made me chuckle when I read it.  Some parts of the world must be more dangerous than others.   ;D

I'm happy I have never faced this dilemma myself.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 02:18:50 pm »
Went against the sound wisdom here. The six day old wort just reached a boil. Before I get too many, "so why'd you ask if you were going to do it anyway", here was my logic. I couldn't be sure of the cause of the fuse blowing and rather than risk another batch, I wanted to see if the burner was still capable of handling an extended boil. Turned out to be a good test, because it took over an hour and a half just to get the 12+ gallons to a boil from 35 degrees with my minimalist 3500 watt burner.

Hoping for the best. The wort had no noticeable signs of infection or souring. Taste was good. For anyone interested, I'll report back in a few weeks. Thanks for commenting.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 03:01:48 pm by tesgüino »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 10:11:49 am »
So, why don't those bugs change the flavor of other sugary things (say like homemade ice tea) that have been in the fridge for a week?

Not arguing. Enough people have made the same point that I don't doubt it's correct. Just want to understand it.

PH and temperature. Cold inhibits bacterial and yeast growth. The ph in most sweetened beverages is in the 2-3 ph range which is too low for many bacteria and some yeast.

Wort is in an ideal ph range and typically at room temperature where it is the perfect breeding ground for microbial growth.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 05:32:26 pm »
Went against the sound wisdom here. The six day old wort just reached a boil. Before I get too many, "so why'd you ask if you were going to do it anyway", here was my logic. I couldn't be sure of the cause of the fuse blowing and rather than risk another batch, I wanted to see if the burner was still capable of handling an extended boil. Turned out to be a good test, because it took over an hour and a half just to get the 12+ gallons to a boil from 35 degrees with my minimalist 3500 watt burner.

Hoping for the best. The wort had no noticeable signs of infection or souring. Taste was good. For anyone interested, I'll report back in a few weeks. Thanks for commenting.

Right on man. You definitely won't really know unless you try it for yourself. Please post back with tasting results if you remain alive... :)

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2016, 12:30:04 pm »
So, I've had this beer on tap for a while now. Thought it was a decent beer. Not the best thing I've made, but good. Took a bottle to a homebrew club meeting. Same reaction, even after being told about the one week delay in the boil. Still not convinced that it wasn't me in denial of my "ugly baby", I entered it into a local competition to get an unbiased view. Saw the results on-line today. Third place in American Pale Ale. Haven't seen the score sheet, but that's about what I expected. Not a great, over the top beer, but no where near a dumper either.

Oh, and most of it is gone. As far as I know, nobody has died yet.  ;)

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2016, 12:59:49 pm »
Hey congrats on the medal! 

It obviously was pretty good then and can be pulled off in this fashion. Well done, and thanks for posting!