Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chest freezer rust prevention  (Read 3187 times)

Offline wmsouthworth

• Cellarman
  • Mr. Bill
Chest freezer rust prevention
« on: August 16, 2016, 05:04:39 pm »
 My 15 year old chest freezer finally died and I just got a shiny new one. I would really like to prevent the inside from rusting out. Anybody have any tips to keep my new fermentation chamber looking good? I just finished caulking the interior in hopes that it will slow down the rusting process.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 05:29:25 pm by wmsouthworth »

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Re: Chest freezer rust prevention
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 05:23:05 pm »
My 15 year old chest freezer finally died and I just got a shiny new one. I would really like to prevent the inside from rusting out. Anybody have any tips to keep my new fermentation chamber looking good? I just finished calking the interior in hopes that it will slow down the rusting process.

Check Experimental Brewing podcast either #1 or #2 near the very end for a tip from Drew.  https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast?page=1    If I remember right, I think he said to put silicon caulking around the inside seams to help prevent rust.

I'm sure that is where I heard this.
Ralph R.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 05:29:21 pm »
Damp rid or electric dehumidifiers. Damp rid works best, but it's a constant expense, the plug in crystal based dehumidifiers work ok, peltier based dehumidifiers run 110 which means another point where the lid gasket is opened

Offline wmsouthworth

• Cellarman
  • Mr. Bill
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 05:36:59 pm »
Damp rid or electric dehumidifiers. Damp rid works best, but it's a constant expense, the plug in crystal based dehumidifiers work ok, peltier based dehumidifiers run 110 which means another point where the lid gasket is opened

How often do you have to replace the Damp rid?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 05:42:53 pm »
Depends on the humidity and how often I open the lid. Maybe once a month? Blow off buckets and warmer ferments keep the humidity high which makes it last half as long as normal.

Currently I use the crystal dehumidifiers, but like I said they don't seem to work that well. I have two of the smaller sized plug in "rechargeable" units in my ferm freezer and keezer. I try to charge them every few weeks, but forget.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 08:08:35 pm »
I've had decent luck with these silica dehumidifiers. You can recharge by cooking them in the oven. I tend to bake them every few months (depending on how often I'm opening the lid):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QZ6PZ0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you do this, just remember to carefully remove the lid before heating. The lid has a plastic window that will melt into the indicator beads if you don't remove it.

There's no need to remove the top insert with the indicator beads. It's a PITA to get out without spilling beads everywhere, and after a few hours in the oven they all get plenty dry anyway.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 08:30:34 pm »
I considered these ^^^, but I liked the idea of being able to do it outside without the oven on. At the time I was living in Dallas and using the electric oven was a double whammy when considering the AC usage needed to fight it back.

Offline satchman

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 10:25:47 am »
My 15 year old chest freezer finally died and I just got a shiny new one. I would really like to prevent the inside from rusting out. Anybody have any tips to keep my new fermentation chamber looking good? I just finished calking the interior in hopes that it will slow down the rusting process.

Check Experimental Brewing podcast either #1 or #2 near the very end for a tip from Drew.  https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast?page=1    If I remember right, I think he said to put silicon caulking around the inside seams to help prevent rust.

I'm sure that is where I heard this.
You are correct, Drew's tip is at the end of episode 2, just listened to it today.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 02:13:33 pm »
I considered these ^^^, but I liked the idea of being able to do it outside without the oven on. At the time I was living in Dallas and using the electric oven was a double whammy when considering the AC usage needed to fight it back.

I have something similar, but it's a bit smaller and comes in a cloth bag.  You just microwave it to renew it, maybe they sell something in the US.

http://www.therange.co.uk/200g-moisture-muncher//the-range/fcp-product/68023
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 09:15:54 pm »
In my 7.2 CF keezer I use two EVA-Dry 500's.  Used them for years and not even a sweat breaks out inside.  I recharge about once per month.  Still on the original two after 6 years and they continue to work great.

https://www.amazon.com/Eva-Dry-EDV-500-E-500-Eva-dry-Dehumidifiers/dp/B000H0XFD2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471749105&sr=8-2&keywords=eva+dry+500

or

https://www.amazon.com/E-500-Capacity-Renewable-Wireless-Dehumidifier/dp/B0046W0CGA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1471749105&sr=8-4&keywords=eva+dry+500