Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: kolsch grain bill  (Read 11124 times)

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
Re: kolsch grain bill
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2016, 09:21:16 am »
Hi guys, thanks to you i'm now willing to brew barrels of Kölsch :P

I'm a french Brewer with nothing interresant to say other than a little dumb question to ask : what is the software used to create this recipe ? It seems like a mobile software and i'm looking for a good (and free) one since i've started brewing years ago !

Thank you for the sharing and the good tips on fermentation temp by the way :)

Amicalement, ElsassBrewer

I think that is iBrewmaster. I think I used to have it on my iPod years ago. Regardless, CaraVienne has no place in a proper kolsch IMO. Also make sure to make a good sized starter for a kolsch or pitch multiple packs/vials.
That was my beersmith app.  It's pretty much worthless for anything except reviewing cloud recipes on the go at least for my purposes.   Save your money for something else.  As far as caravienne, this is Gordon strings recipe and I'm going to brew without it next and use 029.  A lot of people use wheat but that doesn't belong either. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2016, 09:33:41 am »
Do yourself a favor and brew one without the caravienne after you brew one with so you can see how much better it is without. I personally don't care if it's JCs recipe caravienne doesn't belong in a kolsch.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2016, 09:38:21 am »
Do yourself a favor and brew one without the caravienne after you brew one with so you can see how much better it is without. I personally don't care if it's JCs recipe caravienne doesn't belong in a kolsch.
That is my plan

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2016, 10:28:29 am »
I used to do a Honey Lemon Kolsch and added a bit of Carapils in it to bring back some of the body that the honey sapped out of it....otherwise, a regular Kolsch with 100% pils is a thing to admire.  I had some Fruh on tap at a German restaurant about a month ago and I thought I had died and gone to heaven.  The bar maid said the Kolsch shipment had just come in from the distributor - so fresh and good.  I could have sat there all night, but I had to judge the next day.  The next day the judging was at the same restaurant.  Needless to say, the judges all went for the Kolsch.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2016, 10:42:16 am »
Got this brewed on Saturday. Not sure why but my OG was a couple of points lower than expected but it should come out just fine. It's at 60F right now and I will start to bump it up a bit starting tomorrow I think.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2016, 08:21:14 am »
This beer is currently carbing up. The cantaloupe character is quite significant but not overpowering. It added a peachy hue which is kind of cool. Definitely the fruitiest beer I have made which wasn't really the intention. I was thinking the cantaloupe would be more subtle.

My initial impressions of G03 is that is is VERY clean, maybe moreso than WLP029. The FG dropped an additional 2 points after the fruit addition to 1.005 and it is definitely dry tasting. I did ferment in the low temperature range. I don't think this beer is going to clear very much because of the fruit addition. It's a little late in the season for a beer like this but it should turn out good never the less.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2016, 12:20:39 pm »
My latest kolsch has been lagering for about 4 wks now and I have been enjoying for about 10 days. I now know that if I brew a 10 gallon batch with this recipe, I can bang out a decent helles and kolsch at the same time using the exact same recipe. Good to know for when I upgrade to 10 gallons (if ever). Surprisingly, this kolsch batch (second gen yeast) cleared much faster than the initial pitch into my cream ale.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2016, 04:10:02 pm »
This beer is currently carbing up. The cantaloupe character is quite significant but not overpowering. It added a peachy hue which is kind of cool. Definitely the fruitiest beer I have made which wasn't really the intention. I was thinking the cantaloupe would be more subtle.

My initial impressions of G03 is that is is VERY clean, maybe moreso than WLP029. The FG dropped an additional 2 points after the fruit addition to 1.005 and it is definitely dry tasting. I did ferment in the low temperature range. I don't think this beer is going to clear very much because of the fruit addition. It's a little late in the season for a beer like this but it should turn out good never the less.
I'm starting to think kölsch is an all season beer for me

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2016, 05:23:56 pm »

I'm starting to think kölsch is an all season beer for me

For sure. This is a variation of a regular for me.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2016, 09:46:57 pm »
My latest kolsch has been lagering for about 4 wks now and I have been enjoying for about 10 days. I now know that if I brew a 10 gallon batch with this recipe, I can bang out a decent helles and kolsch at the same time using the exact same recipe. Good to know for when I upgrade to 10 gallons (if ever). Surprisingly, this kolsch batch (second gen yeast) cleared much faster than the initial pitch into my cream ale.
So it sounds like the main thing for a Kolsch is the yeast.  Would Safale K-97 German ale yeast work OK for a Kolsch?  Medium attenuation, low flocculation.  Seems a little like WY1007, no?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2016, 06:37:51 am »
So it sounds like the main thing for a Kolsch is the yeast.  Would Safale K-97 German ale yeast work OK for a Kolsch?  Medium attenuation, low flocculation.  Seems a little like WY1007, no?

I've never used that strain before it may work. But the yeast is the key. WLP029 and WY1056 are excellent choices for this style. WY1007 just isn't the same and won't give you that subtle but distinctive "kölschy" style. I'd recommend trying those strains first so you get an idea of what to expect.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2016, 06:58:02 am »
I intend to try K-97 for my next Kolsch.  It is supposedly most similar to 1007 which I know I love, so it's worth a shot.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2016, 07:07:00 am »
I intend to try K-97 for my next Kolsch.  It is supposedly most similar to 1007 which I know I love, so it's worth a shot.

Which is a great strain for Alt but not for Kölsch.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 07:14:22 am by majorvices »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2016, 08:32:26 am »

Which is a great strain for Alt but not for Kölsch.

Never say never without trying it.  Also never take my word or anyone else's as gospel.  Cheers, my friend.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2016, 08:43:06 am »
I'm not saying don't try it I'm saying that it won't have that kölsch-like character. I know this from experience and one thing I am pretty knowledgeable about is Kölsch brewing. FTR my kölsch won 2nd best in the state out of 162 beer judged. (BJCP judged contest and that was based on overall scored.)

Also, WY1007 used to be my house yeast for 3 years. I brewed with it daily and know it like the back of my hand. It is as lagerish an ale yeast as there is. I used to have Germans come up to me and tell me that my "lagers" were as authentic as they had tasted outside of Germany. So I know for fact that that strain is too clean for a kölsch.  But it will make a delicious beer! BUt it won't have that "wine like" Kölsch characteristic.

So by all means, try it! But try the more authentic yeasts as well!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 08:47:48 am by majorvices »