Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New at this  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Sean Lawson

• 1st Kit
New at this
« on: August 17, 2016, 06:32:26 pm »
Hi everyone! Been lurking here for a little bit and this place looks like a lot of fun and I really have some questions about making beer. I just buy a basic kit and made my own beer for the first time. Don't know if it happens to all but, wasn't that tasty, I have to admit. The flavored was a a lot bitter.

I cooked the barley for two and half hours at 167°f, do not know if overcooked it, or what may have been, because I follow all the instructions.

I used:
  • 30 liters of water
  • 9.2 pounds of barley
  • .06 pounds of hops
  • 1 envelope of yeast

is that right? Thanks a lot!

Offline Sean Lawson

• 1st Kit
Re: New at this
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 06:33:39 pm »
Sorry if my english writing is not so good :-X

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 09:10:31 am »
At 167 F, you may have denatured the enzymes that convert starch to sugar.  That would mean that there's nothing to ferment.  The book recommendations you got should help a lot.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Sean Lawson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 09:50:34 am »
Hi Denny, yes thats what I found yesterday on Internet, now it gets confirmed, Thanks a lot for your feedback, still learnind