Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where to buy RO Water?  (Read 5363 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Where to buy RO Water?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 09:53:35 am »
^ the transparency affects the accuracy

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 10:00:27 am »
Along with this, what are the common salts/ acids to use to change water PH and water profile? I see several different products available, some that automatically set the mash at 5.2 (somehow???) and others that are just containers of different salts and such. Where do you guys purchase those? LHBS? I haven't used Bru'n water before either so the info im looking for may just be on that program. I just don't know if I would understand what to do.

I use calcium chloride, gypsum, epsom salts, and baking soda. I also have lactic acid on hand just in case, but I don't use it hardly ever since I started using RO water.
Frank

Offline Stevie

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 10:04:17 am »
I use calcium chloride, gypsum, epsom salts, and baking soda. I also have lactic acid on hand just in case, but I don't use it hardly ever since I started using RO water.
I use lactic most often with lighter beers, sub 5 SRM. I've been using it less lately as I discovered the "add sparge to mash" option in the supports Bru'n Water. New fav feature.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 10:05:49 am »
When adjusting all of this, the salts for the water profile are added before the mash, after, during? And the PH adjustment occurs once your mash has been going a few minutes right?

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 10:06:02 am »
I use lactic most often with lighter beers, sub 5 SRM. I've been using it less lately as I discovered the "add sparge to mash" option in the supports Bru'n Water. New fav feature.

Very good point. But yes. I typically brew hoppy beers or stouts soooo.... yeah, no real use for it lol
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 10:08:09 am »
When adjusting all of this, the salts for the water profile are added before the mash, after, during? And the PH adjustment occurs once your mash has been going a few minutes right?

I add my salts to the empty pot. Then I add my mash water to it. Allows it to dissolve over the course of time it takes to heat to strike temperature.

If you do not have Bru'n Water, I certainly suggest investigating it. It makes things stupid easy.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 10:13:48 am »
I add my salts to the empty pot. Then I add my mash water to it. Allows it to dissolve over the course of time it takes to heat to strike temperature.

If you do not have Bru'n Water, I certainly suggest investigating it. It makes things stupid easy.

^^
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 10:19:46 am »
I get my RO from the local grocery machine. It is a Glacier dispenser and I use a cheap TDS meter to make sure the RO is at an acceptable level. The store I like to buy from usually has water coming out at 3-6ppm and then I use Bru'NWater as well to add back only what I want in my brews. All these steps were learned here on this forum, thanks to you all
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 11:11:36 am »
And some local water supplies that are good for brewing aren't necessarily equally good at all points in the year. My $0.02 - use RO water to build on and verify its quality with a cheap TDS meter. No guesswork.
   I am leery of cheap TDS meters, and everything else cheap for that matter. The "cheap" TDS meter I recently bought says that store bought RO water and distilled water contains MORE dissolved solids that the river water from our municipal supply, something which the tests from Ward labs proves is not the case. Ya pay for what ya git, and hope ya git whatchya pay for.

I can't speak to that, except that Martin(our resident water guru) says that a cheap TDS meter is fine to use, as we don't need to know TDS to the exact ppm, just be in the ballpark. All I know is that I (and many brewers here ) use a meter like this one with reliable results.   https://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-TDS-EZ-Measurement-Resolution/dp/B002C0A7ZY/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1474559085&sr=1-1&keywords=ez+tds+meter

As for the store's water, there's no guarantee that their water was as advertised. And RO machines are susceptible to not being maintained, which drives up the TDS. Which is why I carry a meter.
   This is true, but I had the store's RO water, the distilled water AND our municipal water tested, otherwise I wouldn't have said I knew the readings to be false. The cheap TDS meter I bought is garbage, as is the economy refractometer. Some people can get away with buying cheap, some of us always wind up with fodder for the landfill and should have learned better than to keep trying years ago.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 11:54:43 am »
You should see if the local grocery stores near you have them.

Here you go.
http://locator.glacierwater.com/locator/viewer/map.php?lat=&lng=&accuracy=&search=Denver+co&value=5

This locator is cool.  Turns out the Whole Foods at the end of my street has a machine.  So, for $10 worth of water I can drop $150 on craft beer and other stuff.  I never get out of that store cheaply, which is why I try not to go in.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 11:58:51 am »

^^
Ill have to check it out. Little bit worried about figuring out water chemistry, but from what it seems, Bru'n water makes it easier. Does it help with mash PH or is that something you just have to monitor yourself during the mash?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 12:09:58 pm »
You should see if the local grocery stores near you have them.

Here you go.
http://locator.glacierwater.com/locator/viewer/map.php?lat=&lng=&accuracy=&search=Denver+co&value=5

This locator is cool.  Turns out the Whole Foods at the end of my street has a machine.  So, for $10 worth of water I can drop $150 on craft beer and other stuff.  I never get out of that store cheaply, which is why I try not to go in.
Whole Foods is expensive for water. Mine is $0.50 for RO and $0.75 for DI. I live across the street, so I do appreciate the availability in a pinch.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 12:34:48 pm »

^^
Ill have to check it out. Little bit worried about figuring out water chemistry, but from what it seems, Bru'n water makes it easier. Does it help with mash PH or is that something you just have to monitor yourself during the mash?

I was the same way. I was totally ignorant. Donate a handful of money and get the contributor version of Bru'n Water. Once you get it, you'll probably be overwhelmed, because it is probably the most elaborate speadsheet you'll ever encounter. Don't be. The cool thing is that it has instructions. Secondly, anybody on this thread that has experience with it, will help you out. It truly makes water chemistry simple. And by building your water profile to fit whatever beer style you want, your beer will be much better. Well worth the effort to learn.

I really don't find it to add much more time to the whole brew cycle either. I way my salts out with my hops while I'm making my yeast starter.
Frank

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 12:37:21 pm »

Ill have to give it a try! Thanks!

^^

I was the same way. I was totally ignorant. Donate a handful of money and get the contributor version of Bru'n Water. Once you get it, you'll probably be overwhelmed, because it is probably the most elaborate speadsheet you'll ever encounter. Don't be. The cool thing is that it has instructions. Secondly, anybody on this thread that has experience with it, will help you out. It truly makes water chemistry simple. And by building your water profile to fit whatever beer style you want, your beer will be much better. Well worth the effort to learn.

I really don't find it to add much more time to the whole brew cycle either. I way my salts out with my hops while I'm making my yeast starter.